Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best option for SPG hotel in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-option-for-spg-hotel-in-bangkok-990677/)

Kristina Sep 3rd, 2013 07:04 PM

Best option for SPG hotel in Bangkok?

It will be 4 years by the time I return to Asia, but I've just booked a 2 week trip for next July! We were finally able to use our United miles to book Business/ First the whole way so I'm very excited. We'll be visiting www.theplf.org in Siem Reap for the first part of the trip, then plan on flying through Bangkok and spending 2 nights there on our way to Myanmar.

We've been to Bangkok many times, but not since 2009. We've stayed at the Peninsula several times, the Royal Orchid Sheraton, and the Westin Grand. For this trip, the Peninsula is our of our price range (at least as of today, maybe some deals will show up as we get closer). I don't want to stay at the ROS again (as much as I love the river, I don't love the area surrounding the hotel) or the Westin.

I have SPG Gold status and enough points to pay for the rooms in full with points or do cash+points.

These are the choices I'm contemplating:
Le Meridian-7,000 SPG points/night or 3500 points +$55/night
St Regis- 20,000 points/night or 10,000 points + $180/night
Plaza Athenee-7,000 SPG points/night
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit-10,000 points/night or 5000 points +$75/night

I'm leaning toward the Sheraton Grande as I think the location is good and I've read that it was recently renovated. Seems to be good value.
I'm tempted by the St Regis, but the cost may be a bit too steep. Not sure I want to "spend" 40,000 points for 2 nights there. Is it worth it?
I don't really know anything about the Le Meridian (though I've read the neighborhood wasn't great) or the Plaza Athenee.

If any of these hotels tends to treat SPG Gold members better (as opposed to only Platinum) then that might be an incentive. I'd like to book soon because in my experience the rooms available for points tend to disappear.

Thanks!

Hanuman Sep 3rd, 2013 07:21 PM

IMO the best from your list is the St Regis for location and newness. Recently opened with a BTS station right outside and overlooking the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. Close to both the Paragon Mall and Central World Mall.

The Sukhumvit location is not as nice IMO as it's often crowded and at nights the sidewalks are overtaken by kiosks and stalls selling trinkets.

If it was me I would choose the St Regis followed by the Plaza Athenee.

DonTopaz Sep 4th, 2013 03:48 AM

If you've stayed at the Westin in Bangkok, you already know about the Sheraton's location -- the two are across the street from each other.

rhkkmk Sep 4th, 2013 07:05 AM

we did the st regis last year with cash and pts but then they doubled the cash.. its a very nice place..

don't rush now things may change

plaza anthanee is a fav... often you can get it for onlt 4000 B or so which is a steal... july is low season too.

Sheraton grande is very nice and you know that area with westin right across the street

I've stayed away from meridian--location not great--too close to patpong

Bisbeee Sep 5th, 2013 01:58 AM

The SGS is currently being renovated several floors at a time. It is still my favorite and I stay there every time I'm in Bangkok. (will be there next week for 3 nights).

Kristina Sep 5th, 2013 12:54 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the SGS location and I think it's pretty good given the connection to the skytrain.

Not sure I want to spend the points or the $$$ for the St. Regis.
Will look more into the Plaza Athenee.

Bisbeee-Let me know how you like the SGS this time!

rhkkmk Sep 5th, 2013 07:28 PM

4165 B for mid-july is great for plaza A

Kristina Sep 5th, 2013 07:59 PM

Bob, what do you think of the location of the Plaza Athenee? I'm not sure I really know the area.
I wonder if we could book a Le Royal Club room with points or get upgraded to one? :-)

Bisbeee Sep 5th, 2013 11:39 PM

The PA is a 5+ minute walk to the Phloen Chit BTS. Another 5 minutes walk in the opposite direction and you'll be at the All Seasons Place/Conrad Hotel. All Seasons has a shopping mall and a few restaurants (the Garage servers good burgers). US Embassy is also just down the street from there. Not the greatest location IMO in comparison to the SGS.

Kristina Sep 5th, 2013 11:42 PM

I've been reading reviews of the PA on TripAdvisor and FlyerTalk. They are mixed at best.

rhkkmk Sep 6th, 2013 05:26 AM

I love the location and in fact I think the PA area is better than the SG area...

I think the PA is a nicer hotel as well.