Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best Night Market in BKK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-night-market-in-bkk-674998/)

shandy Jan 29th, 2007 10:31 PM

Best Night Market in BKK

I want to attend one of the night markets whilst in BKK. I will have only time to do one (won't be there on a weekend to attend Chatuchak either).

I was thinking of Suan Lim Night Market. Is this worthwhile? I belive there is a food court and resturants there as well. Would you eat there or would you have dinner at a restaurant before going. Incidentally what time do the night markets go to?

Thanks in advance.

KMLoke Jan 30th, 2007 04:57 AM

Suan Lam Night Market is worth a visit. The stalls are open from 4pm onwards. Figure getting there after 5pm-6pm would be nice so you can figure out the lay of the market in daylight.

For food ya have dinner there. There's restaurants, cafes and a big food court. You'll be spoilt for choice.

rhkkmk Jan 30th, 2007 05:19 AM

that is the one you want....it is at the junction of wireless rd and rama IV...there is a subway stop right in front of it on rama IV....

you do not say when you are going to be in bkk, but this market is slated to close this year...

shandy Jan 30th, 2007 09:13 AM

rhkkmk, we will be there at start of May. Do you know when it is expected to close? Thanks

rhkkmk Jan 30th, 2007 09:30 AM

the last report we had was for closure Feb 07...we have not seen an up date...Maybe Michael in bk or Brad will know a more definate date

MichaelBKK Jan 30th, 2007 04:15 PM

Last information I saw was that all the vendors had to vacate the market by April, to make way for a new Central shopping mall.

dperry Jan 30th, 2007 06:07 PM

I was there 2 weeks ago and it was in full swing.
Although touristy, it's fun for a walk through (they do have some interesting items), and there are many places to stop for a beer, listen to music and have a bite to eat outdoors.
I always enjoy it.

shandy Jan 30th, 2007 08:16 PM

This is a real shame. It looks as though it will close down the week before we get there. Does someone have a suggestion for an alternative night market?

rhkkmk Jan 31st, 2007 08:18 AM

its been 'closing down' for about a year so time is not set in stone...you may luck out

bkkmei Jan 31st, 2007 05:33 PM

do you want to actually buy something or do you just want a night market experience i.e. not a tourist thing but a Thai thing?

for example: there's the 24 hour flower market (best to go late at night) called Paak Khlong talaat. Very nearby is a clothes market aimed at college students - a lot of young gear and university uniforms! It's fun and vibrant.

There's Victory Monument which is an interesting browse. Again, a young crowd, cheap tat. Has food stalls outside, though you probably want to eat elsewhere. Saxophone Bar is nearby for live music and a beer.

As above have said, it's likely Suan Lum would still be open anyhow

shandy Jan 31st, 2007 11:07 PM

bkkmei, I am not after buying anything in particular - just wish to soak up the atmosphere. Thank you for mentioning the flower market. I had no idea that was 24 hours. I had just assumed that it was only during the early morning and day and we wouldn't have time to see it.

travelmom13 Feb 1st, 2007 04:59 PM

I second the post to go a bit early to scope out the Night matket in the daylight. We showed up a bit too late and felt VERY rused to get our purchases. I have done Chatatuck-large awp meet (sp?)and MBK...and LOVED the Suan Lum market the best!

We will be there in the beginning of April...will I be ok to go there still?