best insurance for summer study in China

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a scholarship for a summer program in China. But they require all students to have medical insurance. From what I've been told, the healthcare system in China requires all payments up front and does not bill the insurance provider. This may be a huge problem if I can't find the right type of insurance.

I have USAA and I was looking on their site at two things:

1. Short-term medical insurance
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insur... <https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insurance_major_medical_solutions_main>

2. travel insurance
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/trave... <https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/travel_main>

The medical insurance is via Assurant Health and the travel insurance is via Travel Insured International. I am not sure which one I need or should get. Or if there is another company that is the absolute best...?

I currently have no medical insurance and have not had any for years. For my particular situation in China, do you have any recommendations on the best insurance that you know is reputable and wonderful? Thank you!
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't the people providing the scholarship or running the program in China have suggestions?
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, they do not make recommendations for summer school students.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM

I buy my travel medical and medical evacuation/repatriation insurance from Seven Corners. However, they do not pay up front and I don't know of a company that does. But I would expect medical care in China to be quite cheap compared to the US (I assume you are in the US?) Come to that, pretty much everywhere is cheap compared to the US when it comes to medical care.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am in the USA.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM

Small things like seeing a doctor is cheap. Other like surgery is not cheap if you want a good doctor. Not all doctors or hospital are of the same quality. you need some good knowledge or go to an international hospital like Family United.
I had a minor surgery to fix an abdominal hernia in Beijing. I was lucky as I got probably the best in China. Cost was nearly the same as in Canada. same for dental treatments.
Not everything is cheaper than in the US. Try to rent a nice apartment in Beijing and you'll see.
Back to the insurance question, yes you need to pay up front in China. So for insurance purposes, you need to bridge the payment as the insurance will only pay after. Might be different in international hospital like Family United.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 09:02 AM

"Not everything is cheaper than in the US. Try to rent a nice apartment in Beijing and you'll see."

I did not say that "everything" was. I said that I would expect "medical care" to be cheaper. I also did not mention Canada.

doorstep - who is running this program? If it is a reputable organization I am surprised it is providing so little support.
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

I have recently received some information to go with HTH Worldwide. So, I am considering HTH Worldwide or Travel Insured International. Any other thoughts on these two?
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 07:29 AM

"I did not say that "everything" was. I said that I would expect "medical care" to be cheaper. I also did not mention Canada." - Did I say that YOU said everything is cheaper in Canada? I was responding to the OP, not responding to you.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 07:34 AM

"I was responding to the OP, not responding to you."

Oh really??? The OP never mentioned costs, he simply asked for the best insurance product.