Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Best Indian Restaurant in Little India Bangkok?

Best Indian Restaurant in Little India Bangkok?

Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Best Indian Restaurant in Little India Bangkok?

I plan to make a small excursion to little India in BKK to sample the food out, this next trip to Thailand. The food here has to be excellent compared what's available here in the states (which would seem obvious) due to the climate and proximity of fresh, indigenous spices and herbs. Can anyone suggest a good Indian restaurant in this area?...Thanks!

K
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM

I don't really venture to that area but a good Indian restaurant that I like a lot is Indus. Recommended to me by a lot Thia-Indian friends and I have eaten there a few times.

http://www.indusbangkok.com/
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM

Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel & Towers.Fantastic food.Great view from the 27th floor.#19 Sukhumvit Soi 18.
Try the 'Raan'- leg of lamb,marinated with herbs & spices & grilled in a 'tandoor'-coal fired oven.Chicken tikka masala with Indian bread called rotis & of course the Kulfi for dessert.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM

rang is fantastic, esp the sunday brunch...we love hamili cha cha off new rd, sort of across from harmonique...

are you coming to our gtg on the 25th?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Pook- Thanks for the sugg!

Inquest- I just found this one out. Sounds like the buffet is huge too. Thanks so much..

K- Will check Hamili out. Btw, I would like to join you guys for the gtg, but I think I've probably alienated too many people. I may find myself waking up in an alley somewhere behind the Pickled Liver, lol.

Thanks again, all!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM

its bob actually... come 7 pm on the 25th,,, kineree on soi 8

we don't get violent until after 10
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

assuming you wil be making sure the chef is Indian? as per your Thai food criteria?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM

Mango-by all means, come to the GTG. All are welcome. There's absolutely no reason why GTGers must agree on everything or anything. The strength of Fodors is its diversity. We can't all be like Bob. Thankfully.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM

Took an Indian friend of mine to Himali Cha Cha a fews years back. I'd been going for many years, but this time it was very bad. I asked my friend what kind of Indian food is this. His answer was, "I don't know?" Haven't been back since.

Rang is my favorite. Mrs. Balbirs is another very good one.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM

The buffet at Rang is surprising good. Normally, I don't like buffet food, Bob forced Beth and me to go. We liked it. Plus, the view is very nice.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

Rang is fabulous for dinner as well and the views at nighttime are great. I didn't post earlier for fear of being slammed since it's not in little India and Mango does have a reputation...
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. If you can get that crusty old Dogster to join you so I won't be the only one who gets the stare-down, I'd love to stop by.

G- Thanks for your encouragement. It would be a lot of fun, especially if you guys can look past my e-rants. I'm really quite normal at least a small percentage of the time.

Lol, Bisbeee- Thanks for the tip..

Awww, I wouldn't do that Craig. I don't usually target people but rather their missteps! Anyway,

So far, its the Rang buffet. Its sounds excellent so far. This past Sunday I was at the Bombay Club in DC for the buffet, and it was disappointing. Unusual and few dish choices and on the bland side as well. We were burping Indian food the entire day..it was gross. So we are due for some great and manifold flavors. Thanks again everyone!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

mangs, was the bombay club in dupont circle, or on k or m st? i went to the bombay club, and i agree with you, the food was not good. i think the chef came from yamagata.

btw, if you are in bangkok during the gtg, pls join us(i know this is bobs event, but i'm just echoing gpandas sentiments).
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Kuranosuke, it is near Dupont. Nice restaurant, but weak tasting food!

I should be in BKK that weekend, so I will try stopping in. Thanks for extending the offer. Btw, what is being celebrated?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM

my bar mitzvah.

Search this Thread