Reload this Page >

best hotel/restaurants in chennai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2000, 07:19 PM
jeff davidson

Hi, <BR> <BR> I'm travelling on business to chennai for two weeks in june. I'll be on expense account. Could someone give me a recommendations for hotels/restaurants? Where would be good to travel over the weekend? <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>jeff

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:21 PM
Rupinder

I have worked in the five star hotels in Chennai for a few years and the best hotel to stay in for business is The Park Sheraton followed closely by the Taj Coromandel hotel.Ask for the towers rooms in the sheraton but be specific when booking rooms as there are two sheraton hotels and two Taj hotels there.The towers rooms come with a towers lounge and a complimentary breakfast and drinks every evening and also butler service in the rooms!So thats good for a business traveller. <BR> <BR>Weekends you might want to book a cottage in the Taj in Mahabalipuram which is about 40 kms from the city by the shore and the hotel is on the beach and is good. Try to specifically book a cottage on the beach.There are old temples and ruins to be seen near the above hotel and you can find help with getting tour guides there after you reach.Staying at the towers also gives you complimentary airport transfers but be sure to ask specifically about it. <BR> <BR>The Park sheraton has a great restaurant for traditional South Indian food (I forget the name)and Taj has a good Chinese restaurant called the Golden Dragon and Taj Connemara has a restaurant where they have a dancer performing traditional Bharatnatyam a dance popular in South India.Other than these a lot of good food is found in most hotels and the Peshawri In the Chola Sheraton is great Afghani influenced Indian food with a lot of kababs and such.Hotel guest relations is agreat place to inquire about anything and at these hotels are more than willing to help you with planning weekends and such.The night life in Chennai is restricted to eating out though Park Sheraton has a night club on Friday and SAturday nights.All hotels have pools and bars and are comfortable ----things amy have changed a bit since I was there five years ago but not that much!! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip and mail me if you have any more questions. <BR> <BR>Rupinder Mucherla

Old May 30th, 2000, 11:29 PM
keith

hi, <BR>u can also go to GRT Grand Days Hotel in chennai....5 Star Hotel <BR> <BR>thanks <BR>keith

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:35 PM
Mona

Check out www.gourmetindia.com, they have a pretty good listing of top end standalone restaurants & pubs/bars all over India. <BR>Good Luck

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 08:30 AM
victor

I was at Chennai 2 wks ago. I stayed at Chola Sheraton and I must say this hotel has excellent service. Room is clean and nice. The hotel has a good Indian restaurants and the Peshawal is excellent with the lamb and cauliflower baked in hot oven. There is also a Chinese restaurant if you had enough of Indian food. There are plenty of cottage industry co' that sells handicrafts that might interest you. Do ask the conciege for directions. Regards and enjoy yourself.