Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best Family Asian Destination with 4 Kids Under 9

Feb 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

We live in Okinawa. My husband and I are planning a spring break trip for our family in 2013. We are wondering which destination would be the best fit for our family. We are interested in culture, nature, and seeing the top sights. We are only in Okinawa for 3 years and want to try to make 3 trips. We have a smaller budget and our main expensive will be plane tickets for 6.

On Our List
1. Tokyo
2. Hong Kong
3. Great Wall of China

Thanks for any suggestions!
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM

I would suggest you to visit either Hong Kong or Tokyo. Tokyo is a very nice city and you would love to see the Japanese culture and the food is great especially if you are a foodie. The people are friendly too. I am sure you will enjoy.
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Seems to me you already are getting the culture of Japan by living in Okinawa so maybe its Hong Kong. But you might consider Bangkok. Yes its farther but you may find the airfare to be about the same. Tokyo is a very expensive city as well. Hotel prices in Bangkok are very reasonable and there is so much to see and do in Bangkok.

The three bigeest expense items in such a trip will be:
1) Airfare
2) Hotel costs
3) Food

Considering all three I think Bangkok gives you the best value if the airfare difference between Hong Kong and Bangkok is close.
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM

tokyo is the most expensive but HK is not much less... china might be cheapest..

may i suggest thailand with a couple of days in bkk and the rest at a resort at the beach so the kids can totally relax and swim all day, visit elephants, etc...

hua hin is nice---i like the hyatt there

krabi is also nice and the sheraton is great for kids..

the jw marriott at khao lak is fantastic, as is the meridien---both have kids clubs
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Bob has a good idea there. Do Bangkok for say 3 days and then get a taxi to take you all to Hua Hin for a resort/beach time say for 3-4 days. Hua Hin is only abpout 2 hours from Bangkok by taxi and its not expensive to get there. You get the culture, shopping, in Bangkok and then some relaxing time at the beach in Hua Hin. All much more affordable than Tokyo or Hong Kong.
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM

I agree with Bob and Bill. I know Tokoyo, Hong Kong and the Great Wall are your list of must-dos, but taking 4 kids under the age of 9 to those destinations sounds like a nightmaare to me. You want to go somewhere they can relax and enjoy. I don't know when your spring vacation is, but April is the hottest month in Thailand, so try to go before (February is great) or after (it's better in June).
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM

I have been to Thailand (many times) as well as Hong Kong, Beijing, Malaysia and Vietnam. Most of the trips have been with our 2 children who are currently 10 and 12.

Thailand is by far the easiest place to travel with kids that age, based on our experience. The culture is interesting without being too confronting, children are welcomed warmly and there are many unique activities for all ages.

Assuming 10 days on the ground, I would recommend 3 in Bangkok, 2 in a semi rural area such as Kachanuburi where you will get your nature/wildlife fix and then 5 at Hua Hin for beach/shopping/eating/culture.

This will give you a taste of eveything on offer in the Land of Smiles without the need for any domestic flights. You will be able to transport the whole family between each destination via a mini-bus with driver for under $100 and 3 hours for each leg.