Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Benjarong ceramics and Celedon (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/benjarong-ceramics-and-celedon-543090/)

rr229 Jul 10th, 2005 04:05 PM

Benjarong ceramics and Celedon

Where are good places to purchase these? (Specifically in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or Samui). I want nice stuff but nothing crazy expensive.

glorialf Jul 10th, 2005 04:23 PM

Definitely Chiang Mai. Get nancy Chandler's map and Pleasures and Treasures of thailand for great places to buy it. The celadon in Chiang Mai is exquisite. There are several wonderful factories -- I;ll get my notes with the names and post them later (I'm having a senior moment).

hobbes Jul 10th, 2005 04:50 PM

In Bkk Narai Phand is an OK place to see this stuff. Also, Central department store home section and Emporium mall home selection on one of the floors (I am not able to recall which exactly.) Other places are the Suan Lum Night Bazaar and Chatuchak weekend market - esp the Chatuchak Plaza which is the shops, not the stalls, which are open daily has some good celadon shops. I bought an entire dinner set at one of them for a friend. Gaysorn Plaza's home floor has benjarong, high quality but pricey.

I agree with Gloria that quality is good and stuff is cheaper in CM - for celadon I bought atone of the factory outlets road, very reasonable. It is called Baan Celadon and you can check out their website www.baanceladon.com for their range.

glorialf Jul 10th, 2005 05:00 PM

Baan Celadon is excellent so is Mengrai Kilns and Thai Celadon. Bencharong at Premprancha (not sure of spelling)

rr229 Jul 10th, 2005 05:43 PM

Thanks so much. Are all the following places in Chiang Mai: Baan Celadon, Mengrai Kilns and Thai Celadon. Bencharong at Premprancha?

glorialf Jul 10th, 2005 05:45 PM

yes-- all in Chiang Mai.

rhkkmk Jul 10th, 2005 08:04 PM

the celedon shop at the corner of sukhumvit and asosk is only so so....their shop on the shopping road in CM is fantastic....

we bought some modern looking celedon at a small shop on the 3rd floor of gaysorn plaza this trip...not cheap but very nice..

CFW Jul 11th, 2005 03:51 AM

Another rave for Baan Celadon in Chiang Mai. Huge selection of beautiful top quality celadon at very reasonable prices. The people there were also very nice and patient. We bought an entire dinner set & had it shipped home. It all arrrived in perfect condition and it reminds us of Thailand every day.

Guenmai Jul 11th, 2005 06:47 AM

Yeah....Pick up the Treasures and Pleasures of Thailand travel guide. I've used these(basically shopping) guides for years and have had very good luck with them. Happy Travels!

rr229 Jul 11th, 2005 08:33 AM

Where can I purchase these:
Nancy Chandler's map and Pleasures and Treasures of thailand

Craig Jul 11th, 2005 08:42 AM

I got both Treasures and Pleasures and the Nancy Chandler map from Amazon.com.

rhkkmk Jul 11th, 2005 07:16 PM

amazon also has used copies of the books...