Gifts to bring to Phillipine relatives

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I will be visiting and staying with distant relatives for 12 days in the Phillipines this January. We will be their home some of time.

What would be good gifts for the male and female relatives?

For the housekeepers and drivers?

They are well-off but we do want to bring them some gifts.

Top shelf liquor (Johnny Walker Black) and high end toiletries (Estee Lauder) have been suggested. Are these appropriate?

They travel frequently to the USA.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:00 PM

We travel frequently to the Philippines and our relatives there are quite well off. They actually like the simple things that we take for granted here in the states. Candy - hersey bars, butterfingers, etc. Also colgate, scope, dove soap, irish spring bodywash, caress, zest, and also foods- bring them jambalaya and gumbo mixes and shrimp etoufee mix.
Olive oil. Spam (various flavors) and multi vitamins. Fragrances for both men and women.
Now this is important- you do not give gifts to the housekeepers and drivers. You, if you like give some small items to the master of the house and indicate that these are for your housekeepers and drivers. It is the culture there that it will be the master of the house to give such things to their help- NOT YOU.
Have a great time there- we will be back next year.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Ok now if you going to stay in a hotel for part of your trip I'm going to let you in on a secret to getting fabulous customer service. Of course service is very good to begin with (after all you are in Asia!)But to elevate it further do this....tip everyone that you would normally of course that goes without saying but bring along a few bags of the bite size hershey bars, butterfingers, nestle crunch etc and hand them out to everyone you come in contact with. Door men, front desk people (one per person but for the front desk make sure that all get one).Your restaurant server, leave a few for the maid each day (along with her tip[ of course).
Do this each day and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have done this in Manila, Bangkok, etc... works wonders!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

THanks BillT for the tips and information of protocol.
I just wonder if the chocolate will travel well in the heat though.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Yes either take it with you in your carry on or if that is not possible pack it deep into your suitcases- wrapped in clothes. We have done it both ways and it has always arrived ok.
Wwen you get back let me know how my tips work out for you.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Take note - I would not bring expensive liquor as you would have to keep it in your checked bags and that is something that may disappear enroute if you know what I mean!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM

i would fill your Balikbayan will edible items, ie candy, canned meats and fish, beef jerky, nuts, etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM

Try to bring a unique one something that you think they havent eat yet or a thing that they dont have yet. Rememeber it is the thought that counts. for sure the will really appreciate it.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM

I got the impression that Linda is taking gifts along in their luggage - not sending a box. Linda is that right? If you are sending a box then I have a few more tips for you to ensure safe delivery.