Bel Aire Princess Bangkok

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bel Aire Princess Bangkok

Hi! We're off to Thailand June next year and have tentatively decided on the Bel Aire Princess in Bangkok for our first 3 nights. Does anyone know if this hotel is close to the skytrain? If so, does that line run down to the World Trade Centre shopping area?
Is it better to just take the taxi or is it one way traffic around this area?

Thanks in advance.

nzers
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:01 PM

the sky train passes right by one end of the world trade center and there is a stop near-by....the main street is one way but probably in the direction you will want to go there....i will try to look up the address of the hotel and post back again...
its always easiest to take a taxi if you are not in a hurry, its cool and comfortable and cheap and save your energy for shopping and battling the heat..
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:10 PM

your hotel is off of sukumvit on soi 5, so this is on the same sitde of the street as the WTC so it will be easy to get to...especially via taxi

i do not know where on soi 5 it is but the skytrain is on sukumvit rd so you will have to walk there...it could be a 30 second walk or a 10-15 minute walk depending where on soi 5 it is in relation to the corner of soi 5 and sukumvit....the sois are the side roads off of the main road if you don't know and all even numbered sois are on one side and all odd numbered sois are on the other side....i sometimes stay at the jw marriott which is sukumvit road, soi 2 and there is a skytrain stop 2 minutes walk from there near soi 4 (i think it is called nana stop)

sukumvit road becomes plenochit road after it goes past the highway and the WTC is on the corner of plenochit and another main drag....

for best results always take the green and yellow cabs, instead of the red and blue cabs.... (G & Y)owner operated and understand english better...
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:11 PM

my best man visits bkk often and he frequently stays in the princess hotels---there are several of them...they are not lux hotels, but are clean and comfortable according to his reports...
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:53 PM

It is 100 metres from Sukhumvit Road and therefore the skytrain will be a bit of a walk. Personally I would pick a hotel close to the skytrain as relying on taxis is not good( having spent 40 mins stuck in a taxi within sight of our hotel- the Landmark- on arrival and one and a half hours trying to get out of Bangkok for a trip I can tell you traffic is a nightmare!)
Try this site for hotel recommendations
www.travelforum.org/thailand/html
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:14 PM

I agree with Fiona. Stay along the sky train route and forget being stuck in BKK traffic. The Intercontinental (was the Royal Meridien...beautiful hotel!!) is right at the WTC shopping stop at Chidlom skytrain station. There is also the Patumwan Princess Hotel which is close to the National Stadium stop.

Don't miss the shopping at National Stadium stop. There's MBK, Siam Discovery and Siam Center.

WTC is also good area for shopping. I like the Thai craft village and also the very upscale Gaysorn Plaza mall.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:19 PM

On the subject of hotels, any information on The Ambassador would be appreciated. Near the skytrain?
If the Ambassador is not recommended, then what else in under $50US price range
And where is Patpong in relation to other hotels - taxi??? Or skytrain? Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rhkkmk (what does that stand for btw?).
Yes, the Bel Aire is on Soi 5 and not too far along apparently. So, if the skytrain is near Soi 4, that wouldn't be too far to walk then?? Travelling with our two children, so I have to bear in mind what they will cope with in the heat etc.

Fiona & Simpsonc510 - We have chosen the Bel Aire because it has rooms with 2 queen size beds meaning we need to have only 1 room for the four of us. If you know of any other better hotel that has the same, please advise - I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks

nzers
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:20 PM

don't understand your question...the six letters are our initials...btw??? i looked back quickly on my messages and don't see a btw reference?? sorry

sounds like you will be in good shape for where you want to be....that area is very busy in a good way except for traffic at some times....

you could check the crowne plaza for 2 beds in a room and also the jw marriott, but it may be much more expensive for you...the crowne is on silom road not near where you want to be---nearer the river....

what about the centre point apartments or some of the other serviced apartments...with a family they could be perfect for you???? there is one or two centre points near sukumvit rd...
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

rhkkmk
btw= by the way!
nzers
sorry can't help. Have you tried these web sites?
www.sawadee.com
www.asia-hotels.com
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM

I've stayed in serviced "apartments" for a great rate. Patumwan House is located on Soi Kasemsan 1, which is behind the shops at the bottom of the National Stadium sky train stop (farthest corner from shopping).

Patumwan House does not have a pool. But, you can get a 2-bedroom with livingroom, two bathrooms, and kitchenette for about $1200-1400 baht per day. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is, but it is a real bargain. Mind you, the rooms and very plain, but they are also very clean. The location is at the end of an alley and it is very peaceful and not a long walk to the skytrain. The courtyard is filled with birds that sing and talk! I really do enjoy staying at Patumwan House. But.... your kids will probably prefer a place with a swimming pool.
Carol