Beijing - We've arrived!

Search

Beijing - We've arrived!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing - We've arrived!

Reenie and I arrived safely in Beijing today. We flew on United Airlines from Dulles International. The flight was loooong but we managed well. We did have lots of turbulence over Canada. We saw lots of ice-covered land, especially over the Queen Elizabeth islands and Siberia. And the mountains were beautiful with jagged edges. We crossed over Mongolia before heading south into Beijing.

Landing, going through customs, and getting a taxi was very easy. We both took money out of the ATM machine outside the exit area. There are two official taxi lines. As warned by fellow travelers, a man did walk up to us while still inside the terminal asking if we needed a taxi. I knew best and headed to the official stand. It took about 20 minutes to get to our hotel. The traffic was very light. I had read about the aggressive taxi drivers, but not ours. Our seatbelts didn't work but I actually felt comfortable with his driving. Along the highway into the city there were many potted planters with various flowers.

The taxi driver had to stop to ask for directions to our hotel, while I kept trying to tell him it was next to the Regent. He called the hotel and we were at the door the next minute. We paid 84RMB for the drive, which I knew was more expensive than the express train/subway, but after a long day in the air, we wanted no other mode of transportation.

Check in at the Park Plaza Wangfujing hotel was fast and we were upgraded to an executive room with the club benefits (breakfast, cocktails in the evening and use of the computer!)

The day was beautiful. Blue skies, with a slight haze, but nothing compared to what I saw on t.v. before and during the olympics. The weather report calls for the same sunny days and temps in the low 70s.

We have a room on the 15th floor with 2 double beds, desk, table, safe, closet with slippers and robes and a nice size bathroom with all amenities that we would need.

After our cocktails (well, just a glass of red wine), we headed out. I had asked for a recommendation for a light dinner, as Reenie wasn't that hungry. We were given a restaurant business card and one of the employees walked us outside and pointed us in the right direction. I wasn't sure if we were going to find the place since only Chinese characters were on the card and it took a while for the employees to figure out the directions. It was a straight shot from the hotel, but we wandered around a bit to see the various small streets.

The restaurant was a dumpling place and the place was packed. In fact, it was the only place that was full on this particular street. We didn't have to wait, as 2 people left their table. Three young waitresses brought out plates of steamed and fried dumplings. Some of the diners had various types of soups, vegetables, and other dishes. It all looked great! We ordered a small plate of pickled vegetables (daikon, cabbage and carrots), which was slighly spicy (5 RMB) along with a plate of fried dumplings stuffed with cabbage and pork (15 dumplings for 25 RMB). The cabbage had the taste of spinach. They were delicious and filling. With 2 bottles of water our dinner was 35 RMB.

We didn't get to the night market, as we walked in the wrong direction but we did see a lot of activity in the area. After picking up a couple of bottles of water for the room, we walked back.

Tomorrow we'll have a guide take us around for the day to include a visit to the Forbidden City.

It's nice to have access to a computer, so I should be able to write again soon.

Monica
http://monicapileggi.blogspot.com

PS: I'll try to post a few photos on the blog tomorrow.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Hi Monica - the turbulence over Canada was our stock market combined with the last days of our general election campaign. Have a great time.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Monica - glad to hear things are going well. Have fun!
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Am surprised how warm it is there! Sounds like you're off to a great start-have fun.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Can't wait to hear more!

China's quite different......don't you think?
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Great start! Enjoy!
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Colduphere
LOL
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Monica
Where are you staying in Yangshuo?
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Glad all went well and sounds like a wonderful meal!

Will be watching for more reports. And checking the blog.

Have a good time at FC.

Thanks for thinking of all of us still back home!
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks for starting your TR the same day/night you landed in Beijing, and glad you are enjoying the Park Plaza Wangfujing, great location and not too posh.

You successfully figured out how to eat out cheaply. That type of cabbage is different from the ones we make cold slaw with, it's called huangyatsai/yello sprout cabbage, in California it's known as Napa cabbage altho they don't grow in the Napa wine county.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the messages. This will be quick. Here's the latest posting: http://monicapileggi.blogspot.com/

Moremiles, yes it's warm. Not taking a jacket with us. Tomorrow will be warmer! We'll probably wear shorts for the great wall.

Shanghainese, that dinner was great and a place I enjoy eating in. Thanks for the cabbage description.

Yes, great hotel, excellent location.

More later!

Monica

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

To catch up and write about yesterday (Sunday the 12th) ....

Violet picked us up at 8:30am and we took the subway to the Temple of Heaven (TH). Reenie and I both enjoyed this park-like setting. It seemed everyone was out enjoying the day with their loved ones. We enjoyed watching people dancing in the park, playing various games, doing their exercises, and groups of singers or muscians.

One man stopped me for a few minutes and I played a sort of 'table' tennis but it was with a large soft ball that we tossed to each other with a paddle. I had fun interacting with him. What I did learn is that the moves you make in order to toss and catch the ball are tai chi moves. He helped me with a few moves, but I could tell it's something that takes practice.

Violet told us about the sights at the TH. I was amazed at its size. We had nice weather again, although slightly more smoggy than the day before.

We headed over to the pearl market and Reenie bought a hat, as she is fair-skinned and the sun can be too much for her. She bargained and end up paying 20RMB, which Violet recommended. Reenie had bought a watch the previous day ($15 USD), which Violet said she paid "too much!" Me, I haven't bought anything yet. The stores with all the young sales women and the number of stores can be overwhelming.

For lunch Violet took us to a restaurant very close to the pearl market. We wanted something light since we had dinner reservations for Peking duck! We all enjoyed a bowl of Beijing noodles, which is served with a thick plum sauce. It was excellent. The restaurant is large and was completely filled, mostly with locals. People waited in line for a table. As we ordered we were asked to pay for our meal. They worked fast!

The afternoon was spent at the Summer Palace, where the emperors would enjoy their summers. It was about a 40 minute taxi ride. I think many people are still here from their week long holiday. The SM was a zoo! It was just as crowed as the Forbidden City.

We spent a couple of hours walking along the area, including the long cooridor, the longest in the world. It reminded me of the corridors at the Temple of Heaven.

We decided not to walk up the hill to the (I think it's called...) temple of harmony since we had plans to climb the great wall the next day, but instead, we walked over to the marble boat. I had seen photographs of the boat but didn't realize the size of it.

For 10 RMB, we took a short boat ride along the lake to the 17 arch bridge. In China the number 9 is a very lucky number. So if you stand in the middle of the bridge you have 9 arches on either side of you.

It was late, so we took a taxi ride to the nearest subway and went back to the hotel. One stretch of the subway was very crowded, especially at the interchange.

For dinner, we ate at Li Qun duck restaurant, which is located in a hutong. Our taxi driver had a hard time finding it and had to call the restaurant. Once he stopped the car I was unsure if we were in the right location. Pointing in the right direction, we set off. Right at the corner was a sign directing us to the tiny hutong restaurant. We knew this would be an experience. Even though Violet had called to make reservations for us, she told us we would have to wait "a little." That wait turned into 45 minutes. However, it was worth the wait! Every table is presented with their duck to see before it is taken away to be carved. To eat duck, take one of the very thin crepes, a piece of duck that has been dipped into the sweet bean duck sauce, "paint" the sauce onto the crepe; add more duck (along with the skin), thinly sliced scallions and sliced cucumber. Wrap it like a buritto and enjoy!

I hadn't thought about getting a taxi back to our hotel but one woman told us to walk back to the main street and someone would hail a cab for us. Sure enough, on the corner were several men, including two in security uniforms. It took about 10 minutes before one could be hailed down. It was a short ride back to the hotel.

It was another great day.

Monica

PS: Meeting a few fodorites for dinner tonight. Had a great day at the Great Wall. Will write about it tonight or tomorrow. But wanted to say it was a fabulous day!

.... pollution was heavy today.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi friends,

I wanted to let you know I have updated my blog page. I haven't been able to get to a computer every day, so some of it is brief:

http://monicapileggi.blogspot.com

To say the least, we are having a fabulous time!! It's been a great experience, especially yesterday while visiting the panda reserve.

When I return I'll definitely post in detail.

Monica
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

lollylo25,

Sorry, I missed your question. We'll be staying at the Li River Retreat. I know that another fodorite couple will be there the same time as us and we plan to meet up for dinner.

Monica