Beijing Silk Alley

Old May 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing Silk Alley

Does the Silk Alley in Beijing still exist? If so, can someone tell me how late they are open? If it doesn't exist, any other good shopping ideas for the evening? I am on a tour that leaves next week and we don't have much free time except after dinner.

Thanks
Dena
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM

The Silk Alley was closed the first week of January, 2005. A new building was constructed to "house" the old vendors, except that the rent is reputedly higher than in Manhattan! This newer concrete and sanitized version opened about a month after the old one closed. At any rate, most of the old vendors simply can't afford the rent. The vitality of the old Silk Alley will be very much missed!

Many of the vendors have moved to Hongquiao (Red Bridge)and other places. The best thing to do is to inquire once you are in China. Your tour guide might know or could find out for you.

Things change very fast in China! Good luck!
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM

The area just south of Qiamen gate (side streets off Qiamen Dajie)had some of the North Face & handbag knockoffs, as well as tea shops, etc. For souvenir stuff, we liked the Panjiayuan or Dirt Market. Don't know the hours that it is open though. If your tour is going to Xian, you'll find lots of souvenirs (bracelets, teapots, silk) in the Muslim quarter which is nice to walk around in the evening.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM

The Silk Alley's new incarnation is open and despite its sanitized generic mall flavor, the same stuff is there. Prices have been jacked up considerably, (rent overhead now).

Many vendors have stalls at all three markets (Silk Market; Ya Xiu on Worker's stadium North road; and Hong Qiao, the pearl market).

Ya Xiu is open till about 9PM.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help. I leave on Sunday and will print out all the recommendations. The location of our hotel will most likely determine where I shop.

Thanks again
Dena