Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Beijing Need Info/Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/beijing-need-info-help-53838/)

Peigi Sep 27th, 1999 04:48 PM

Beijing Need Info/Help

Traveling to Beijing 11/20 - 11/25 on Northwest Airlines. Staying at the Jinglun Hotel.Tours booked for Wall/Ming Tombs/Forbidden City. Any tips on above mentioned, flight/Hotel/weather/additional sites to see, would be helpful. Thanks.

Michael Sep 28th, 1999 05:25 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm very familiar with Beijing, sights, etc. Also Northwest Airlines. <BR> <BR>Must run to work now. E-mail me with questions (if you have additional ones) and I'll get back to you later.

Peigi Sep 28th, 1999 02:40 PM

Michael, <BR>Need email address, or post info here. <BR>Would like to know what Hotel is like (booked thru Tour) How's the weather in November. Any need to bring packing suggesstions ? Anything I should not miss when in Beijing ? I have 2 free days in Tour, any good restaurants ? Good Jazz Clubs ? Thnks ..... <BR> <BR>

Michael Sep 28th, 1999 05:22 PM

Hi, <BR> <BR>I know Beijing well and enjoy helping folks like yourself. My e-mail is [email protected] as it says on the post. I tried sending you an e-mail at your address and it was returned.

dan woodlief Sep 29th, 1999 04:53 AM

Two other major sites well worth the effort are the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven. Of course, you will want to see Tiananmen Square too.

Lincoln Oct 1st, 1999 08:17 AM

The weather should be very cold. I was there around Dec. 8th last year. Climbing the Great Wall at freezing temperature is an....experience. Be sure to bring something to cover your face.

Giles Oct 3rd, 1999 04:43 AM

The Summer Palace is the best thing to see (apart from the wall, in a remote area (not Badaling)) and the Ming tombs are a crap. Do not forget the Lama temple (very nice).

Ann Oct 5th, 1999 03:05 PM

I've been to Beijing twice and can highly recommend the Summer Palace. Skip the Ming Tombs if you can (sometimes they're part of the Great Wall tour). The Lama Temple (and Confucian one nearby) is really wonderful if you have time. Last time (April-May)I was there I took one of the pedicab tours mentioned in Lonely Planet (they leave from the north gate of Bei Hai Park) and it was one of the highlights of my stay. It lasts for four hours (be sure to get the English language official tour unless you speak Mandarin) and you see parts of Beijing you might not otherwise see. <BR>ad

Peigi Oct 11th, 1999 04:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your info... any advice on money ? To bring travels checks ? Credit Card ? How much foreign currency to bring ? <BR>Thanks... Peigi

Michael Oct 12th, 1999 04:58 AM

Peigi, <BR> <BR>Credit cards are fine for hotels and big department stores. Otherwise you will need Renminbi. (Chinese yuan) The exchange rate is slightly better for travelers checks vs. currency. All major hotels have Bank of China offices that are open long hours to exchange money.

clarence Nov 4th, 1999 07:19 AM

wellcome to xi'an. <BR>my name is clarence guo,a taxi driver and tour guide in xi'an----the home town of terra-cotta figures,i often take travellers to a cave dwelling village after terra-cotta figures,you'll visit some family live in the cave houses which built hundreds of years ago,meet local farmers and kids there. <BR>if you need my help(airport transfer,hotel,tour) in xi'an,pls feel free to e-mail me. <BR>Regards.