Notices

Beijing lodging

Mar 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Beijing lodging

So we're 2 "mature" women who will be in Beijing (1st time, but well travelled) for 5-6 days. Trying to decide on hutong or traditional hotel with modern amenities. Perhaps a combo of both? Will be doing the usual tourist stuff.....LOVE photographing everything....not 5 star people, more value for the $$....but there are some great values in the high rises as well as hutongs....suggestions? (April travel)
Mar 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
kja

The Bamboo Garden Hotel might meet your needs, although I had some ambivalence about it. It was only a 10-minute walk to a Metro station, which was very important to me. It is in an interesting, if rather gentrified hutong neighborhood, but it is not a traditional siheyuan - instead, it is a relatively modern (but attractive) set of buildings in Ming style surrounding pleasant gardens that I believe were once the core of a siheyuan. I found the rooms nicely furnished and well appointed. The rate I was able to obtain was affordable, but it was higher than I had hoped to pay and higher than I believe was necessary for comparable lodging. Still, it had English-speaking staff 24/7, most of whom were extremely helpful; it has a restaurant, lounge, and spa on site; and it offered some nice options, such as free in-room internet and free transportation to the airport. BTW, be very careful if you try to arrange that transportation - I had clearly requested the free transportation, was assured it would be free, and only when I reached the airport did the driver insist that I should pay. He kindly got on the phone to the hotel, and after I spoke with several people, someone at the hotel finally agreed to pay him if he would return to the hotel after leaving me off. Thankfully, the driver was very nice about it.

http://www.bbgh.com.cn/english/introduction.html
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Tx. Bamboo Gardens looks like a good compromise.....What about Michael's House. Anyone? Anyone that could compare these two ???
Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
LvL

I would like to suggest staying in another authentic hutong. We stayed in Mao'er B&B in the heart of Beijing. It was on a side street, was very quiet and the hostess was so friendly and accommodating. Angela spoke English and even booked tickets for us to the Acrobat Show, dinner at DaDong Peking Duck and purchased train tickets for the next leg of our journey.

The place itself is basic, small and clean. It had Wifi and TV. Breakfasts were included (basic-buns, eggs, fruit and vegies--typical Chinese breakfast). It is very close to Nan Luogo street with shopping and restaurants and a short distance away from Beihai Park as well as the Forbidden City. It was very convenient for walking to/from the city center sites. When you walk out the front door, you are right in the midst of everyday Chinese life. The only negative was that it was a 20 minute walk to the nearest Metro stop.

But the bottom line was the great price and excellent service. You can stay in a hotel where everything is top notch but impersonal but you can also stay in a bit of Chinese history and enjoy the real Beijing!

They don't have a direct website but can be booked through B&B CHina - http://www.bb-china.com/book-online/...8_english.html

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread