Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Beijing Hotels - not Western Chains (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/beijing-hotels-not-western-chains-504824/)

marychris Feb 17th, 2005 02:44 PM

Beijing Hotels - not Western Chains

Just curious if anyone can recommend a hotel that isn't part of a Western Chain, or 5 star price range. We will need two rooms and I am trying to keep it cost effective. We are not big fans of super fancy hotels anyway. Never feels like you left home sometimes. Thanks in advance!

Neil_Oz Feb 17th, 2005 04:40 PM

marychris, there's a list of 3-star hotels at www.hotels-china.com/hotel/china/Beijing/3s.htm - if nothing else that will give you an idea of asking prices.

We stayed at the Ping An Fu, which was fine, and not badly located (a Y15-20 or US$2-3 cab ride to the city centre). www.sinohotel.com/hotel/hotel.html?hid=86.

If I'd had my druthers, though, I'd have picked the Bamboo Garden, which is in a nice location near the Drum Tower and Back Lakes. However, I'm not in a position to recommend it (we were there at a busy time and they were booked out). www.bbgh.com.cn/en1.htm.

Another more traditional-appearing place that I'd have been prepared to try is the LuSongYuan (try a search).

The Chinese-owned hotels we stayed at were quite adequate, and there was always someone around who could speak enough English to get by. My advice is to get hold of a Beijing city map and choose a hotel in a reasonably central position. From what I could see the Western chain hotels are mostly very central, but way overpriced if you take into account Chinese cost structures. At most times of the year you should be able to simply front up and negotiate a discounted rate.

marychris Feb 17th, 2005 05:47 PM

Thanks so much for your input. Funny you should mention Bamboo Garden. I had already looked into it, as I thought it sounded just perfect. Some reviews on Trip Advisor mentioned the location as the best and worst part of the hotel. Worst because it's not conveniently situated, taxi drivers don't seem to know where it is, etc...and the best because once you drive in, it's the most beautiful and serene hotel in the city. I'll look at the sites you men tioned and other hotels as well. Really appreciate it. By the way, how long were you in Beijing and do you think 4 days is long enough?

Neil_Oz Feb 17th, 2005 09:25 PM

We walked past the Bamboo Garden and the location didn't seem particularly challenging or obscure to me. Really, all you should need to do is carry the hotel's card with the name and address written in Chinese. Beijing cabbies are very resourceful (and generally honest) guys.

Not a Beijing story, but ... by the time we got to Shanghai I was foolish enough to think that my pronunciation was good enough to verbally direct a cab to our hotel. Wrong, and as a result, twice we were delivered to the wrong hotel. On each occasion the cabbie knocked the fare down to about what we would have paid had I not misled him, without being asked. We decided that the cabbies are China's unsung heroes

I'd say that 4 days is bare minimum. We had 7 and didn't run out of things to do - if you can add another day it wouldn't be wasted as long as you do your homework.

marychris Feb 18th, 2005 09:35 AM

Thanks again for your reply. Wish we could add a day in Beijing, but we only have 7 days total and are heading to Xi'an as well. Did you go to Xi'an? BTW, we originally planned to fly out of Shanghai, but we are going to skip it entirely. I would love to go, but from what I've read we are better off spending the time in Beijing. And, I'll be sure to keep my hotel address card handy for those cabbies.

jodo Feb 18th, 2005 10:04 AM

We loved Xian (even though the pollution is awful) Try to get to one of the outdoor parking lots which host Chinese ballroom dancing (played on a scratchy phono loudspeaker---middle aged husbands and wives whirling around the parking lot to very interesting music. Hope that is still going on (it was 4 years ago)
Also, the Warriors are incredible. Tip: go at lunch.....tourists are eating and the site was almost empty.
We're going to Beijing, too, this spring.

marychris Feb 25th, 2005 12:51 PM

Jodo:

Thanks for the tip on the time to visit the Warriors. I hadn't thought of that and it's an excellent strategy. BTW, where did you stay? I haven't decided yet. Also,I will definitely look for the parking lots with dancing. I was a professional dancer when I was in my 20's and 30's so it would be a real treat for me. Do you think this would be easy to find???

SOPHIEDEPARIS Mar 12th, 2005 02:22 AM

Hi !
I've heard the best things about the Bamboo garden hotel , I would recommend early bookings because it seems as good as it looks on the web.
Enjoy , and please tell us all about it when you come back!

Wanda1 May 3rd, 2005 04:10 PM

I guess that's why I haven't been able to confirm a room! Should have decided sooner.