Beijing drivers ignore No Car Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To-day, China is holding a No Car Day in more than 100 cities as it tries to reduce smog ahead of the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Cars have been banned on some central streets in Beijing and all drivers are being encouraged to leave their cars at home voluntarily.

However,cars are coming and going as normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

The head of the International Olympic Committee, has already warned that if the pollution is bad next summer, some endurance events - such as cycling or the marathon - may have to be postponed.

I hope they can sort this out. During our recent trip to China, my thoughts were very much 'how are the athletes going to cope with this pollution'. I heard a reporter to-day stating that visibility in Beijing was reduced after 100 metres. That's smoggy!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:36 AM

Today in Bangkok it is also a car free day as well. I'm afraid most people didn't pay attention to it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM

Leigh,

I was in Los Angeles the last time they hosted the summer game and most days it was a smog alert 2 or 3 (3 being the highest). Didn't seem to have slowed down anything but then again the USSR and her allies embargoed the event.

Knowing how China does not like loosing face I really think that they will do something right before the event and temporarily clean up their act for the tv.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman,

are you telling me that L.A. pollution is similar to that of Beijing? My experience is that China has pollution levels that make London of the fifties and sixties look like fresh air heaven! I haven't been to LA yet, but surely you are mistaken when you compare the two.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM

The air was brown and brought tears to my eyes. Late 70s and early 80s were really bad in L.A. very similar to Beijing nowadays. Summer months were the worst and it was a big concern during the 84 Olympics. Google "los angeles olypic pollution" and you'll see several references between L.A. 1984 and Beijing.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM

I'm sorry but there is no comparison between the two. LA can be very smoggy, of course, but it's apples and oranges. The pollution in Beijing is an order of magnitude worse.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

I agree with Leigh and Bob....I've lived in L.A. for 50 years and certainly have experienced smog alerts, but based on my March visit to Beijing, ain't no comparison, not even close!!
BJ being much worse by a magnitiude of Nth!

The biggest problem aside from this in BJ, will be the motorists ALL of whom pay no attention to lights, rules, lanes or other drivers! Merely stepping off the curb will be more exciting than many of the Olympic events!

When I was in BJ in '84, there were no private autos. Only thousands of bikes...and exhaust spewing trucks. Even then there was a smog problem.

Stu T.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Agree with all the above. The smog in BJ is far worse, exponentially more so than LA! I lived there for 5 years and had chronic asthma from the pollution. Moved first to Shanghai then back home to New York City, and haven't had an attack since.

I don't know how the distance runners will cope - I run about 20 miles a week in the US. In August, I visited Urumqi (a Chinese city with comparatively cleaner air) and started a run. My lungs were raw from inhaling pollution over a short 3 miles, and continued to be sore for the next two weeks. That was the last time I'll attempt something like that. I couldn't imagine running a full marathon in similar, <i>maybe</i> slightly better, conditions.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

And motorists are not the only hazard for pedestrians! All manner of two-wheeled powered machines use the pavements (sidewalks}, with complete disregard for anyone on foot.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM

How right you are! Leigh....I found that the overall gentility and kindness in China is rapidly disappearing as prosperity grows...as it has and does in most countries that have gone through the dramatic transition.

stu T.