Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing Can Someone recommend a good resaturant for Beijing Duck?

Sep 6th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks in advance.
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Going-I don't eat duck, so I did not have any while in Beijing, however there are two recommendations by China experts on this board for Peking duck-and I have pasted their responses below:

1.Liqun Roast Duck Restaurant which is located in a Beijing hutong. They have an English menu, which makes it no less authentic, just easier to order. The phone number: 8610-6705-5578.

2.For roast duck, as recommended before more than once on these pages, the Beijing Dadong Kaoya Dian on the east side of the east third ring road, just north of Tuanjie Hu Park
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:48 PM

I'm not an expert on Beijing but just wanted to add that "Peking duck" and "Roast duck" are two different dishes. Most place that serve roast duck might not even have Peking duck because it's more of a gourmet dish.
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:29 PM

That could be, Hanuman, however, the guidebooks use the term interchangably when they list restaurants that serve Beijing duck. Both of these restaurants were recommended by a Beijing ex-pat and Peter N-H.
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Beijing in March last year and we had to try out the Peking duck of course We went to a place called King Roast Duck Restaurant in the Wangfujing area...hm, so maybe we had roast duck and not Peking duck. Well, it was a good meal anyway and it looked like it was a local hangout spot too. There was a group of Chinese men in suites in the resturants and one of the older guys got so drunk that he had to be supported on his way out. Well, I have posted pictures and a trip report on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com

Mvh
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM

My understanding is that Beijing Duck is roasted, but the crispy skin is separated before serving and served separately from the sliced flesh, with pancakes, sliced green onions and a dipping sauce. I think a duck broth is also served? Whatever, thanks Spygirl -we'll be paying our first visit to Beijing shortly and we'll check out one of those recommendations.
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Our family had dinner at Dadong in March and it was very good. Peking duck was fantastic, but there were many other great dishes as well.
Definitely a place you go for the food and not the atmosphere, which is brightly lit and noisy. There were lots of other families there, both Western expats and locals.
We were staying at the Peninsula Palace in the center of town and it was an easy taxi ride. Make sure you book in advance. We did and still had a bit of a wait.
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Neil,

Your description of Beijing duck is correct. Some places, like Hong Kong, like to slice the duck's skin with meat on them before you rap them up with a thin pancake with plum sauce(and other condiments like cucumber slices and spring onion). In other part of China and Asia they're just served with skin only. In most restaurant you can ask the chef to prepare the rest of the duck anyway you like such as soup, fried with garlic and pepper or even minced.

Cooking the duck, simplified version - air is blown into the duck while hot oil is poured on to the skin. The duck is then rested, hung for a few hours, before being roasted.

I just didn't want people to order a chopped roast duck that you eat with rice and think that it's Peking or Beijing duck.
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:39 PM

We ate at Beijing Dadong Kaoya Dian a few weeks ago in Beijing. We had the Peninsula Palace Hotel make our reservation for us- it was no problem for the next night. Apparently the name has actually changed- the hotel had the restaurant's card for us though for the taxi so it wasn't a problem- just ask your hotel. It's listed in the Frommers guide.

Cost us about $1.20 in a taxi to get there by taxi. The duck was very good- they slice it right in front of you and there is a lot of food! We spent under $10 for dinner for the two of us with drinks- although we stuck to the basics of Peking duck- there were a wide array of other dishes on the menu that we could have ordered.

I know you asked specifically about duck, but I would also highly recommend Hakka on the back lakes (great food, huge family style portions, cheap, and right on the back lakes) as well as the Courtyard for a splurge (we were seated at the window table overlooking the forbidden city- beautiful and we loved the food, although it was pricey for Beijing- about $60 US for dinner, drinks and dessert). I'll post a full trip report soon!
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Punky-as far as I'm concerned, the cool, sophisticated Courtyard is THE restaurant in Beijing-it has it all-great mix of westerners/ex-pats/Asians, (the Courtyard is owned by a Chinese-American lawyer btw), cool Asian fusion food, great wines-but upstairs, wow! I'm still thinking of that beautiful evening last April, it was around 80 degrees, we climbed upstairs to the tiny attic cigar room, were sitting on the worn leather couch, having a drink, and oh, what a magical view! I was transfixed! There in the large square open window was the East side of the Forbidden City all lit up at night, with the edge of the Courtyard restaurant sitting right at the moat's edge. A beautiful bronze Buddha is sitting in the window facing inward, its head shiny from all the people who come up and rub its head for good luck-just as two Asian businessmen did while I was there. I could not take my eyes off the tableau before me-I reminded myself why I travel to such far-off destinations-to see THIS. And as for the food, yes it was quite expensive, just like I'd pay in NYC or SFO, but worth every penny. I'll be back.
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:07 PM

We were in Bejing last month, and Peking Duck is one of my all time favorite dishes. For convenience, we wound up going to Quanjude -- not the one closest to Tienanmen, but instead a few blocks east. Others on this board, as well as several guidebooks, have warned against Quanjude as being overpriced and resting on its laurels. I believe it's claim to fame is that it's one of the first restaurants in Beijing to serve the dish, and over the years it's had many celebreties eat there. Clinton supposedly ate duck there, which may have something to do with his recent surgery, I suppose. We were so exhausted most of the week we were in Bejing (and it was extremely hot), that we didn't want to bother having to travel any distance in a taxi in the evenings, so we gave it a try.

Contrary to the warnings, it was quite good. We could watch the chefs prepare the ducks behind a glass window, and then one came out and ceremoniously carved it by our table. Other groups got into very animated conversations with the chefs regarding exactly how to do the carving, but given the language barrier we decided to rest on his expertise. The duck was very crisp, tasty, and as minimally fatty as Beijing duck can be (at least in our experience with it in the States!). It's not a fancy place, and probably overpriced for Bejing (maybe $15 for a duck that served 4 of us easily, with all the pancakes, hoisin sauce, etc.). However, we enjoyed it. At the end of the meal the waitress -- again with some sense of ceremony -- presented us with a formal certificate of registration attesting to the duck we'd just eaten, complete with the duck's personal, unique registration number. It was fun seeing the large Chinese families, with kids running about, etc. Most wound up with a lot of duck leftovers, carried out in ducky carryout boxes, as I recall. I believe that Peter or others have been critical of the Quanjude that has a fast food version on its first floor, and the one we visited had a only a regular dining room downstairs (in which we ate, though upstairs is supposed to be fancier) -- so perhaps this may not be the branch that people have criticized.
Sep 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Spygirl- glad you like the Courtyard also! We really enjoyed it as well and the view is magical! I agree- while the prices are pretty outragous for Beijing we thought it was worth every penny for the view, good fusion food and service. It was far less than we would have paid in NY for such a nice dinner with a view!