Search

BKK Itinerary - Need Feedback pls - TY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK Itinerary - Need Feedback pls - TY

Hi Fodorites,

I’m a newbie on this forum. I learned this site from a friend and hoping you can also help me.
I and my sis (20) will be travelling to BKK 2nd week of January,2012. We will be staying at FuramaXclusive Sathorn-Silom for 4d/3n.
I have listed our itineraries below. My first time to travel at BKK and not sure if this will work. So please feel free to comment, add activities and advice.

Day 1: We'll arrive at the Airport around 3:55PM. We are planning to take the CITY line Airport Rail up to Makkasan ad then change to MRTA Petchaburi up to Silom Station.

- Any alternative routes that will be more convenient? We are planning to take the train because I’m guessing traffic will be heavy. Our total baggage: 1 wheeled and 2 backpacks.
- How much is the estimated fare and how long is the trip from Airport to the Hotel?

For Night Activities we have : Visit the Lumphini Night Market and Silom Market.
- But when I tried to check some post Lumphini Night Market was already closed?

Day 2: My DIY tour
AM: Visit Temples: Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Reclining Buddha, Wat Saket

PM: Shopping to MBK, Siam Paragon, Central World.

Day 3: Ayutthaya – Full Day Tour
- I am planning to hire a guide or book this Kind of Tour. Any Guide / Travel Agency you recommend?

Night Activities: I have Patpong on my list. Saw some wsites that there are street food and Night Market here.

Day 4: Early Morning at JJ Market.
- What time does Market opens for Saturday and what stalls will be open on an early morning Saturday?
- After JJ before we head to the hotel, also like to visit the Lumphini Park.

Check out 12PM..

Our Flight to return Home was 11PM.
- Since there’s a concierge may be we can leave our baggage and still can visit some places. Any recommendation?

Hoping to hear something from you and thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Where are you flying from? Do you have any other stops on your trip? I'm trying to get a sense of your fatigue level when you arrive and how big the climate difference will be for you.

You have listed a number of markets and malls - is shopping a big activity for this trip?
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM

yes the night market is fully closed now... i would skip the night market too with such little time...

i would take a taxi to town instead of the public transports---will only cost 275-400 B... trains for two will cost almost as much and take way more time.. traffic will not be much of a problem unless you are on sukhumvit or silom rds...

i also would skip AY...

seeing the wats and the main attractions will take you far longer than you think...

wat arun
jim thompson house
grand palace
klong tour
river taxi rides
wat pho

teak palace
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Plane Travel from Philippines directly to Bangkok.
I think climate is almost the same here and Bangkok.

Yes shopping is a Must.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Ok, you won't have problems with jet lag or climate. That helps.

I agree with Bob, it will be easier to take a taxi from the airport. Have them take the expressway - it will cost you a bit for tolls, but its worth it.

The night markets - visit one night market and see if you want to visit another. I find the night markets to be full of junk - there are better places to shop. Also, the Patpong night market is located where there is a lot of the sex trade.

I would tend to save Ayutthaya for another trip, as you don't have a lot of time in Bangkok.

I'd add the Jim Thompson House to your list of must-see places, and I'd add Wat Tramit to your list of wats - it's located in Chinatown.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

For the Wat Tramit - is it the one beside the Thai Fah Foundation Hospital?

And for the Jim Thompson -
* Compulsory guided tours around the house.
- do we need to hire a tour guide? Or they have their own staff to guide us inside? Sorry not sure how it works.

I'll remove Patpong then. If we'll arrive early on 1st Day, will try the night cruise instead. Do you think we can still catch up for the River Cruise at night? What time would be the last night tour?
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Wat Tramit isn't beside Thai Fah, but is only a block or two away.

At the Jim Thompson House, you pay an admission fee which includes a guided tour.

Rather than taking a night cruise on the river, I'd suggest you ride the water taxis during the day. At night, you can't see all the places along the river. You can ride the water taxis to get to the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Way Arun, etc.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM

For some night time entertainment I suggest you do the Calypso Cabaret. Check it out on the web. A classy ladyboy show appropriate for all ages and genders. Its located in the basement of the Asia hotel easily located as its attached to the skytrain. Reserve your seats online (about $25). Skip the dinner option. Take your camera and get pictures of the "girls" after the show only don't forget to tip them (I would say about 40 Baht would do). Bob and I give it a big thumbs up- you will have a great time! My wife and I have seen the show 3 times- always a good time.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

I checked the Calypso Cabaret - seems great. We'll add that on the list.

Another question: Money Changer - Is the Super Rich Money Changer at Sala Daeng and Silom branch still in business?
Or it is more advisable to use the bank / Money Changer at Airport? Any recommended Money Changer near our Area?
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM

You fill find it hard to beat Superrich
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Should have added that you can check our Super Rich rates here
http://www.superrich1965.com/app/our_rates.aspx
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM

OOOPs that should be "out" not "our". Unfortunately I am not associated with Super Rich, wish I was.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. 3 months to go, but am already excited.. Yey!