Beaches near Hong Kong

Nov 29th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Rayh52

Beaches near Hong Kong

We're planning a New Year's trip to Hong Kong, but one of the things we'd like to do is lay out at a beach. Does anyone know of any beach resorts within a two-hour flight of Hong Kong (that would be warm enough for some rays). Sorry if this is a dumb question, but we're experienced travelers who are clueless about Hong Kong.

Nov 29th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Nancy

Dear Ray:

Your best option is probably Phuket or the west coast of Malaysia, such as Langkawi. The Hua Hin area of Thailand on the South China Sea, as well as Ko Samui and east coast of Malaysia are also nice, but this is monsoon season in that part of the South China Sea, so weather might not be that great.

Phuket is about a 3 hour flight from Hong Kong and has good beaches. Krabi and Phi Phi island, just off the coast, are nice as well. There are sevearl direct flights a week from Hong Kong, and you can also go through Bangkok. Check the rants and raves on this site for suggestions for hotels, etc.

Singapore is very hot, but has no real beaches.

Bangkok will be warm too, and you could lay by the hotel pool, but this may not be what you are looking for. That being said, Bangkok is a fantastic city.

Bali would also be a good choice excpet for the obvious reason.

The Philippines (northern islands) would be a good choice, but there as so many security concerns there now (I assume you are American) that I am not sure I would recommend it. (Some people might say the same about Phuket, but I very much disagree. I lived in Hong Kong/Singapore for 10 years until February and feel I have a pretty good grasp of the situation.)

I would advise you to make plane and hotel reservations as soon as you can; as I was in Phuket for last New Years as hotels were booked up, we had made our reservations about 6 months before. If you are going after New Year's it might be bettr.

Hope this is helpful.

Search this Thread