Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   beach - 5 nights...goa?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/beach-5-nights-goa-641989/)

Jonathanfine Aug 25th, 2006 10:27 PM

beach - 5 nights...goa??

Hi. I have 5 days from Mumbai before I need to be in Delhi. Where is a nice beach place? Somewhere exotic, India like but also has a social vibe for a NYC thirtysomething. Thanks.

hobbes Aug 26th, 2006 08:50 PM

Goa meets your criterion but u need to advise budgets for hotel suggestions. U could also consider Sri Lanka. Non beach but charming country side is Kerala.

Bonita Aug 27th, 2006 10:42 AM

Hello.

Well, Goa would be the logical choice as it is a short flight from Bombay, has a wide range of beaches and plenty of nightlife too, depending on where u go.

In terms of how exotic u will find the region, I am not exactly sure, as it is heavily touristed, and not exactly the vision of clean, pristine calm blue seas.

But it certainly does have its charms and beauty, endless coastline, lovely scenery, friendly locals, and incredible seafood! And a good vibe overall..

Goa is surely a fun and worthhwhile place to visit if u want a few days at the beach in the mist of your India travel, and very popular too, especially in December, Xmas time.

There are so many beaches to choose from, depending on what u are seeking, what type of accomadation, and where u want to be. The North has alot of the nightlife/party energy , as the South, some of the better resorts and u might find more peace and solace.

In the North, some beaches that come to mind are Arambol, Vagator, Anjuna, and Baga.

In the south u might consdier a nice resoirt at one of these beaches like CAnsaulim, Benaulim, Cavelossim, to name a few.

Oh, off the Goa subject, another small and nice beach can be found in the state of Kerala, called VArkala.

happy travels and feel free to drop me a line. happy to help! Namaste.

Jonathanfine Aug 27th, 2006 10:30 PM

My budget is medium to high end as this will be my first few nights in India and I will be jet lagged...anything for a single mid 30's trendy NYC'er? thnks.

sharon1306 Aug 30th, 2006 09:00 PM

Goa would definitely be the logical choice for a beach place, its just about an hour from Bombay (by flight, of course and there are tons of airlines doing this route).

You need to decide whether you want to say in the South or the North. The South has cleaner beaches and more five star resorts, so if you are only looking at spending time at the beaches, then further south hotels like the Intercontinental (close to Palolem beach, featured for a few minutes in the Bourne Supremacy), the Leela’s, the Holiday Inn, Raddisson, would be ideal. Then there are beaches in Cansaulim and Majorda (like the Park Hyatt and the Majorda Beach resort) which are about 10-15 mins drive from Margao city, therefore not too far removed from civilization as such.

Or you could pick the North. If you’re a solo traveler, the north would be better, as it is more livelier with more night life. You can stay at the Fort Aguada, etc.

In Panjim (capital of Goa) is the Marriott and the Cidade Goa is also a lovely hotel.

Agree with everything Bonita says – Goa is different from the rest of India, more because of the Portuguese influence (it was a colony for around 500 years).

If you’re traveling xmas time, make sure you book well in advance. The rates are the highest then and also always totally booked.