Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

BangkokHotel help: Riva Surya Bangkok or Peninsula/ Oriental Manderin/Siam

May 18th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in Bangkok one night on our way to Southern Beaches then another night before our flight back home to the US. We want to stay in the riverside area per others suggestions. Do we stay at Riva Surya for $120 USD, a small boutique hotel or spend more than 2x the amount ($300 USD) for the peninsula, oriental Manderin or Siam? Is the extra expense worth it for one night? Any hotel advise in this area super helpful. We leave end if this week, may 24, 2014. This is our belated honeymoon trip!!
May 18th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Your first night at the Mandarin Oriental and your last night at the Peninsula. If you ended up liking the Oriental more then you can cxl the Pen and stay with them again for your last night.
May 18th, 2014, 09:37 AM

For your honeymoon, go for the Penisula or Mandarin oriental. I agree with Hanuman try one for the first night and then decide for the last night, I have only stayed at the Penisula and loved it.
May 18th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Peninsula for sure... Anantara riverside for the first night...
May 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM

Try to have two nights before going home in BKK
May 18th, 2014, 09:32 PM

I agree with Hanuman's comment re trying both. We have stayed at both and both they are very different but excellent in their own ways. The MO has an old style elegance that you would expect from one of the oldest deluxe hotels in Asia but some may find it a little too stuffy.

The Penisula has a bit more of a relaxed feel to it and is more modern. Both have excellent restaurants and facilities. I don't know the Riva Surya but if you do choose that for one night, make it the first as I fear it will not bear comparison with the other two.

Have a fantastic belated honeymoon!
May 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM

I have stayed at both. The views from the Penn, especially from the upper floors are great. World class breakfast buffet by the river, also. The MO is also nice, of course. Try to get a river-facing room...
May 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Early morning greetings, Sweetness, from Singapore and congratulations on forthcoming belated honeymoon. Suspect you will soon be savouring some fine times in SE Asia.

Have never stayed at one of your suggestions, Riva Surya, but have had the privilege of staying at The Siam, Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula. Personal preference, am presently partial to The Siam (and that is due in part to The Siam being a most welcome and rather recent addition to the Bangkok riverside lodging scene - the way the Peninsula was such a delight when she opened her doors ~ '98).

For your purposes Sweetness, will also suggest the Mandarin Oriental for that initial night. She is the grande dame of Bangkok, indeed. (And immediate disclosure: as my recent hotel reviews on my profile page attest, have been involved of late with some business travel stays with various Mandarin Oriental properties in Asia, the UK and N. America. Special friends, management and staff; count me as 'a fan' of the Mandarin Oriental Group.)

The following could be a bit of a budget buster, but will propose MO room/suite categories above her superior and deluxe room offerings. Nothing against those two levels; rather, it's been my experience with various business/holiday MO BKK stays over the years that she really comes into her own at the immediate higher levels - without having to truly dent the cheque book with her top-level suite offerings. (And, as for that beloved Peninsula, will propose a Grand Deluxe Room or Suite. Will always treasure certain sunsets and the lights coming on from high up at the Peninsula - without having to part with additional funds with her top-level suite offerings.)

Will close with my ongoing promotion for dining at The Siam's Chon Thai venue. Should your Bangkok evenings be spent at the Mandarin Oriental and/or Peninsula, do kindly consider taking in The Siam's private boat to and from her property. My review of her just barely touched on the joy that particular evening. (More details via The Siam's website.)

Wherever you share your joyous Bangkok honeymoon times, enjoy. (And for your potential Thai beach, have always found the Amanpuri most rejuvenating.) Best morning wishes to you and all from Singapore,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...