Notices

Bangkok with kids

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok with kids

This is my first visit to the site and already I've been loaded with useful information. My husband and I are looking to go to Thailand on our way back from India in Sept. 2008. We will be traveling with 2 kids (3 years and 1 year old). Do you think we should stick to Bangkok or try other cities too? We are not looking to go to the beach, more to sightsee and relax. Are there massage parlors that have daycare to leave our children in the premises? How many days do you think we will need if we just do Bangkok? We were going to take about 6-7 days in Thailand. Can we do it by ourselves or would you recommend a tour package with hotel included? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much. Happy Travels.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM

You can easily do it by yourselves. I'm afraid a tour would drag you all over and you and the kids would be unhappy.

I'd spend the whole time in Bangkok as there is so much to see and do. Your 6-7 days will allow you to see and experience a good amount of Bangkok. Bob would recommend that you stay at the Marriott Resort and Spa on the river, and I think that's an excellent recommendation for people with kids.

I know of no spas or massage places that have day care, but I'm sure your hotel can recommend a babysitter for you.

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Most hotels in Bangkok have day care facilities - either nannies for rent or full kids programs.

You might, depending on your kids' interest in such things, book a day trip to Ayuthaya.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM

The question I have is that how comfortable are your kids in the care of strangers and when you're not around?

Don't know where you're from but kids can get a grouchy especially after long flights.

You might need to factor more downtime at the hotel than expected.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM

i would have full faith in any thai care giver....they are all just such loving people especially with kids....language might be the only problem....you might find a student who could help you or through the hotel...

sept is not the best weather month in thailand....wet...

and yes i do suggest the marriott with kids....there is a shallow kids pools and a kids club, but not sure about ages for the club...

6-7 days might be perfect as you will have to allow lots of extra time because of the kids....and break times...just like india...
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM

take a look at the hotel discount sites to assist you:

www.agoda.com
www.asiarooms.com
www.huahin.20m.com
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM

I would say, find a good hotel with amenities and stick to it. Book a spa attached to a hotel, then arrange a babysitter through the hotel--they usually look after young ones at your room. Most kids clubs I know tend to start from 3yrs and up. Hotels can usually accomodate food for children (not sure if your younger one would be still through baby food phase....)

BTW, I prefer to use the word spa, rather than massage parlour which can have wrong kind of connotations..
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM

Happychick36:
How would you like to have a massage in your room at the Marriott for a very reasonable price by an experienced massuse (19 years experience)?
When we were there this year my wife had this person come to our room and give my wife a massage for 2 hours. You kids can swim while you enjoy it. This person was very good. Let me know and we will give you the info on how to reach her.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

Bill, I was thinking the same thing! We always have massages in our room @ the marriott a few nights on each stay. We would love the info for your woman in bkk. Could you send it to us at [email protected]

It would be nice to have someone that comes reccomended! Thanks.

Jeffrey and April
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

I will email you the info. She is very good. She is in her 50's and she also can tell if you have any problems- she was able to tell my wife about a number of problems she was having- it was amazing! She will do what ever kind of massage you require.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Bill, I would like to know info on the lady who does massages in room in BKK. My email is [email protected]. Can you give me an idea on price? Thank you
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Hi happychick,

We have travelled through Thailand extensively with our children who are currently 6 and 9. Every time we go for a massage, there are always spare girls who love looking after the kids for you. When they were younger, they would get wrapped up in towels and cuddled until they went to sleep on one of the massage chairs or if they wouldn't sleep they would put on movies for them or play with them. Now they end up getting their own mini-massage and they generally refuse to charge for them. The same thing happens in the local restaraunts, the only problem being when you need to get the waitress or cook to stop playing connect4 with them for long enough to get you another drink.

If you stay at the Marriott resort, they have a great little kids club and the junior suites have a day bed that is big enough for the 3 year old and there is plenty of room for a cot. Last year we stayed at Centepoint Silom in a 1 bedroom unit that had a good sized pull-out bed in the lounge and there is a kitchen and washing machine in the room which is a God-send with young childen.
Thailand is the most family-friendly holiday destination as everone just adores kids, you will all have a ball. THe only thing I would suggest is if you use disposable nappies, to take some from home as we never found any of the local brands to be any good.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

Stitchintime:
Ok my wife will respond to you and travelduo.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM

BillT - could we get the details of the massage therapist you used at hte Marriott. lhovland at btconnect.com

Happychick - if you are planning to sight see with the children, you might want to think about booking a guide or driver. Thailand is a fantastic place for kids (we went in July 06 with a 2 year old and are return next Feb with a 4 yr old and 10 month old) but it is hot. An air conditioned car can very much ease fraying tempers! Having said that, taxis are also very cheap and the skytrain is air conditioned.

But we did appreciate our guides - we used tong in bangkok ([email protected]) and sergeant kai in chiang mai in the north (if you head there). Both were lovely with our daughter and we visited places that she really enjoyed - elephants, a hill tribe school and a local market in chiang mai; gibbons, the palace and a boat trip at the floating market just outside Bangkok. In Bangkok, Bella tended to do half days with us and then go back to the hotel but in Chiang Mai she stayed out for full days and was fine. We were quite careful not to pack the days full like crazy - had leisurely lunches. The tour guides keep drinks in the car. We definitely found it easier with a car than without when we had Bella with us.

We really liked visiting the Elephant Conservation Center in Chiang Mai (city in the north) and also took Bella to see umbrellas and silk being made - she had a lovely time. She also enjoyed seeing Sergeant Kai eat insects at the local market! Caused great hilarity. I am not sure what the weather would be like in Chiang Mai in September though. As a city, it is much more relaxed than Bangkok. There is lots to see and do in Bangkok though so you could spend your entire time there - it would enable you to take some days/afternoons easy and use the hotel's facilities.

In Bangkok, we stayed in the Marriott, Shangri La, Oriental and Peninsula. all of them welcomed us with a child - but I would say that Bella had the best time at the Marriott and the Oriental. Marriott - fab pools for kids, kids club and lots of other children staying there. Oriental - lovely nursery/kids club on third floor - rammed full of toys and books. She looked like the cat who had got the cream!!

BB
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM

Bellabluebell:
Ok my wife is emailing today to everyone the details.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:24 AM

thank you!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM

Bella is your e-mail complete? It's without @___ .com. My wife, Olive, tried to send the e-mail but it was rejected. Maybe you can e-mail her at [email protected] and she can cut and paste her earlier e-mail to you. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM

I think you worked it out! left out the @ - did it to avoid spam - sorry forgot to explain...thank you to Olive, she sent a lovely email
BB