Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which riverside terrace restaurant would you recommend?

Jan 10th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Please help me choose the better restaurant for dinner in terms of quality and variation of the food, as well as the location?
I gather that the theme is "seafood BBQ buffet" at these outdoor places.

- Riverside Terrace @ Marriott Hotel Riverside
- Riverside Terrace @ The Oriental
- or is there another locality worth visiting with the same theme?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I would pick the Oriental as that spot on the river is more active and scenic, also the restaurant is smaller. The Marriott has a huge buffet with hold and cold stands, but I find it a little too much food and somewhat hot waiting in line by the hot stands. The tables are crowded together in once plac, and also are blocked a bit from the river view by the stage on which they have Thai dancing most nights. The lighting is fairly bright as well, I prefer the soft candlelight of the Oriental (actually very cool outdoor rechargeable table lamps, I bougt some) Much as I love the Marriott, I would definately pick the Oriental.
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Hi, I`ve tried the Oriental twice and its very nice. The place was crowded (but confortable), good ambient, great view of the river and the Penninsula accros it. Regarding the food it was ok (just ok) with a good variety of western and thai as well and very good quality i think. if you have to be in the early evening, since the place close early. You may also try the dinner/show accros the river of another Oriental restaurant: Sala Rim Naa (im not sure about the name) for a three course dinner and dance show (pretty good also, you have to reserve from you hotel). rgrds,
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM

The Oriental is very pleasant. Great ambience and food is fine (not spectacular but decent and lots of variety). If you don't want the buffet you can also eat either very good Italian at Ciao at the Oriental or you can eat ala carte at the Verandah at the Oriental. Both of these restaurants share the same "terrace" as the barbecue so you get the exact same view of the river. You can also have thai food across the river at Sala Rim (also part of the Oriental). If you skip the indoor dancing you can eat ala carte outside and again have the view of the river and much better thai food than you would have inside.
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM

the marriott has a very large buffet with many different stations---sometines there are theme nites as well ....its just too busy and hot for me...i also am suspect of buffets for health reasons....

the oriental is lovely and the lord jim restaurant is very nice...i did not like the food at sala rim and the show was only so so...

i prefer the new thai restaurant at the peninsula however--name begins with a "T"...it is quite small and they offer 3 tasting menues for 2, which give you a very good exposure to thai food....i would not call any of the places listed as BBQ style however....

at the penn the price for 2 varries, but it is something on the order of 2000-2800B for two...it is the best i have had at a hotel...lots of variety in the offerings...they also have a limited regular menu....their other river side restaurant offers either inside or outside dining and is less expensive...great river and city views from there which you do not get from the other side of the river imo...

all are good places and you will like them....

try also harmonique restaurant on soi 34, new road one nite...not on the river however and also baan khanitha on soi 23, sukhumvit rd....
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM

i also do not think you would consider the meals to be seafood predominately...
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll have to reconsider my options.

Thanks again for the great advice!
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:27 AM

As for the "barbecue" description. It is what the buffet is called at the Oriental but it really isn't what Americans called barbecue. It's an international buffet with lots of different kinds of food. One section is grilled ("barbecued") meats and seafood which is quite good. But it is definitely NOT a texas barbecue. The buffet also has a lot of thai food as well as some Indian and Chinese food. It's a very large selection and all is well prepared and presented.

Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:10 PM

Haven't been to the Marriott but have been to the Oriental buffet several times on the terrace and it is always a lovely experience. Enjoy!
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM

If you're specifically looking for "buffet" then the restaurants at either of the hotels are good, or, for that matter, virtually all of the large Thai hotels on the river offer buffets, including Shangri-La and Royal Orchid Sheraton, which are also good, so as for a buffet I don't know as there's a real qualitative difference amongst them. However, if you're looking for an intimate and romantic dining experience along the river in an ornate teak pavilion with great Thai food and Thai music accompaniment, then definitely go to the Salathip restaurant at the Shangri-La. The whole experience at Salathip is magical.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:58 AM

Personally, I prefer to avoid eating in the hotel restaurants and like to head for somewhere I am in with a chance of seeing at least a few locals, even if it is only the better off locals. On that basis, there are a couple of other places I'd suggest:

1. The restaurant on top of the River City complex. This has to be the most obscure place to find - it's almost as if they don't want you to know it exists! The only reason we knew about it was that we stayed in the Royal Orchid Sheraton next door and looked down on it from our room - we never saw any signs or advertsing. I can't give precise instructions as I can't remember the detail, but go into River City and I think you head for the management offices. I remember being totally certain I was in the wrong place, when I was in the right place! The food was a sort of barbecue at your table - there was a hole in the table, and they came along with a bucket of red hot coals and dropped it in, and then you cooked your own food. They also did an ordinary menu. Good but not exceptional food with a great view. Reasonable prices.

2. Yok Yor. There are two Yok Yors and I don't know the number of this, but it is on the opposite bank of the river from River City. You catch a free boat from the pier at River City which drops you at the restaurant. No obligation, if you got there and didn't want to eat you could just get back on the next boat. The food was good, but not exceptional. Prices were very good, and there were a lot of clearly well off locals and some expats that made for interesting people watching.

Hope this helps and provides some more options.