Bangkok-where to stay

Jan 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok-where to stay

We are going to Bangkok in March and are looking for some advice on which part of the city to stay. We would like to stay in an upscale neighborhood with shopping and restaurants and one that is close to the main tourist sites and is a relatively safe place to walk at night. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Bangkok has just so many hotels, there will be countless ideas and recommendations, if you want an easy bet then perhaps the Marriott is my suggestion, shopping attached, good atmosphere. You can get +/- for so many but for a first time to stay a place then the Marriott is a 'safe bet'.
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Don't know what your buget limits are, but I strongly suggest you stay on the river. The ability to hop on the river ferry and get places takes the sting out of the sometimes mind-numbing traffic. We only got caught once when there for 9 days, but it was very frustrating. We live in Boston, so we know what bad traffic is like.
Jan 13th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been on vacation to Thailand a couple of times and we have stayed at various places around in the town. The last time we went there we stayed at Rembrandt hotel Sukhumwit Soi 18 and it was nice. The hotel is pretty close to Asok skytrain station so getting around was not a big problem. I have always felt pretty safe in Bangkok by the way so I don't think that you will have a problem

I have posted a couple of trip reports from our trips on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the link to your website. You have some very good information there. The Sukhumwit area seems like it has a good selection of hotels and activities. We'll watch out for the tuk tuk drivers and red light district!
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM

It is not really possible to be close to the shopping and tourist sites as they are pretty far from each other. Close to shopping and restaurants some other options are Intercontinental, Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons. My favourite Bkk hotel is the Sukhothai. Abs amazing property.
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Dear Captain Barky,
You'll probably get 101 recommendations on where to stay - here is mine.
We stayed at the Four Seasons (was the Regent until a couple of months ago) beautiful hotel. Fantastic service, comfortable spacious rooms. Great restaurants in the hotel - amazing buffet breakfast (usually included in hotel room rate)
You can walk outside safetly day or night. Very close to skytrain (which means you can be at the river in 5 minutes time). Very close to great shopping. Central to tourist sights.
We were very happy with not being on the water - it was very easy to get anywhere from this location and it was a major bonus to be able to walk around at night in a fantastic area close to so many wonderful restaurants! Being so close to the skytrain was also a bonus - we were able to get around without being at the mercy of a taxi.
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Check out bookings-asia.com. We've used them in KL and BKK, cheaper than hotel websites. The river is a nice place to stay. We stayed at Shangrila via priceline.com for USD74 in July 2003. Others have nailed it cheaper still on priceline. Lovely location and executive level is great for snacks and drinks free all day. Good luck.
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I always recommend staying on the river. It's what makes Bangkok special for me. There are at least half a dozen excellent hotels along the river. Do a search on this board and you'll get lots of reviews. I've been staying in the Towers at the Royal Orchid every trip for the last 20 years. Obvioously, I like it. I posted a review of my most recent stay sometime in early December.
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM

first of all bkk is really quite a safe city so you need not concern yourself with that aspect....the major hotels are not really near the tourist sites, but transportation is readily available and taxis are very very cheap...
i agree with some above who reccomend staying on the river, especially if you are new to bkk...
the marriott resort and spa ($90-125) is my all around favorite and is affordable...i also like the peninsula...just rated #1 in asia again...on their web site you can get it for about $170---you would pay in excess of $500-800 in the states for similar...
the sukumvit area is also fun...the skytrain goes right down sukumvit so that is an attraction and there is lots of shopping in the area as well as many good restaurants in the area...i usually use the jw marriott on soi 2, sukumvit rd (sois are small roads that run off a main road---in this case soi 2 is a small road off of sukumvit)..there is also a westin and a sheraton near-by (both are great buys on priceline at the moment)...there are many lesser hotels all over bangkok...i would personally not consider anything less than 4 stars...there are also serviced apartments which many like and they are in many different areas of the city...centre point is one which is often mention on fodors.com (it may be center??)--quite reasonable really..

there really is not an "upscale" neighborhood as such...many are more desirable and more tourist oriented than others...sukumvit may have a 5* hotel right next to a house of ill repute...the riverside may have a fabulous hotel next to a slum...the area aound the american embassy (wireless rd) is quite nice with many upscale hotels...

i agin put a plug in for the riverside...