Bangkok transport to Shangri La Hotel

Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok transport to Shangri La Hotel

Hello

Any suggestions on best to take Uber, Taxi, or a private car service someone can recommend from airport in Bangkok to Shangri La Hotel?

Thanks so much
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 11:53 AM

Any of those will work.

There is a taxi stand right outside the baggage claim area - someone will write down where you are going and tell the driver. Make sure the driver turns on the meter. Be aware that you need to pay any expressway tolls. And if the driver asks whether to use the expressway, the correct answer is "yes."

If you want a car service, there is AOT - their desks are inside the airport, after baggage claim. Again, expressway tolls are in addition to the posted fare.

Uber works in Bangkok. I have friends who live there who use Uber regularly. I don't know if there are limitations on Uber picking people up from the airport. As you know, there are many places where Uber is not allowed to pick people up at the airport.

Enjoy Bangkok!
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 12:32 PM

Getting a taxi is easy and half the price of a car service. Just go to the taxi desk in arrivals tell them your hotel and away you go. Expect to pay 250-400 baht plus tolls. As Kathie says, make sure the meter is switched on (the airport is one of thefew places in Bangkok where this shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks is it possible to pay in us dollars are only bahts
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 02:00 PM

I am pretty sure Baht only for taxis but there are plenty of ATMs in the arrivals hall.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:27 PM

Took AOT from the airport to Marriott hotel sukhumvit soi 57, paid with credit card for 1,200baht very convient and great service that was 2 weeks ago
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 11:51 PM

Uber were recently banned from operating within BKK.....plenty on Google [and Trip Advisor] about it.

When we arrived at BKK a month ago on an Emirates Airbus A380 [big bird] we breezed through Immigration, but had to wait an age for our bags to hit the carousel.

If you want to change cash for baht the Change Kiosks on the Arrivals Level all offer poor rates. The best rates by a distance are with Super Rich [and a couple of others], situated on the ARL Level [Basement] on the concourse just to the right of the ticket office.

We got the ARL to Phaya Thai and continued by taxi.....that highway into town frightens me in a standard taxi.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 10:50 AM

"evelyne13 on Mar 3, 17 at 10:27pm
Took AOT from the airport to Marriott hotel sukhumvit soi 57, paid with credit card for 1,200baht very convient and great service that was 2 weeks ago"

I also take AOT and have been regularly for many years. When I get into the baggage claim area, before my baggage comes, I go over to the AOT counter and book a round trip to and from the area of where I'm staying and then go back over to the baggage carousel and by then my baggage has usually arrived. I just did that on this past Dec-Feb, Asian trip.

On this recent, past trip, I was more than happy to be in a comfortable AOT car as it took a very long time to get to Rajadamri as the traffic was horrendous that day, along with a car accident situation along the way. I kept thinking to myself how glad I was not to be sitting on uncomfortable taxi seats for that long. The AOT car was stuck in traffic that wasn't even moving and for quite a while as it had to get through both the traffic and also around the car, fender bender accident situation in one area. I'm also glad I wasn't in a car with a ticking meter as in the AOT car I could just sit back and get there when I got there.

Once, many years ago, I remember being in a van from the airport to the area where I was staying (Ploenchit area) and it took one hour before the driver could even get out of the underground parking structure due to the pouring rain and flooding of the streets. So, the driver and I sat in the van, with it running, trying to get out of the parking structure. Yikes! This was from the old airport.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 11:30 AM

While changing cash at the exchange desks in the airport will get you a poor exchange rate (though much better than buying baht from your bank at home), getting money from an ATM will get you the bank rate exchange rate, which is the best possible rate.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Whilst Kathie is perfectly correct that ATMs will likely provide the best fx RATE, be aware that the ATM provider will charge a flat fee per withdrawal, which I believe is now an extortionate 150-200 baht per withdrawal in Thailand. Expensive, particularly if you only want to change a small amount. This is on top of any fees levied by your card provider. the most efficient/cheapest way to get cash is to withdraw the max allowed by the ATM and/or your provider.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 12:22 AM

I have use acc limos for years - yes dearer than waiting in the ( sometimes loooong) taxi line but service is always great and cheaper than arranging via a hotel.

When we used them in November we have 3 different bookings and they allocated the same driver for all 3 ..I tend to book a week to 10 days in advance via email.

[email protected]. Or [email protected] ( one does say acc and one aac which was there old name)

Acclimousine.com
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 09:30 AM

AAC has long been my preferred car service in Bangkok as well.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much will look into AAC Appreciate all
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:08 PM

travelsusan: If you prefer to book transportation ahead then that's fine. However, I have not found it necessary. Plus, since flights can be delayed, I just like to grab an AOT car when I get there. I have never had to wait for a driver once I left the baggage claim area as the second AOT desk is right after one exits baggage claim. I simply hand the paid-for receipt to the person at that counter and usually a driver is either right there or close by and in the car I go. Plus, the tolls are included in the AOT fare.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks what is an AOT car?
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 06:28 PM

AOT is another car service. They have cars right at the airport, and your can book them upon arrival rather than needing to book ahead. Their prices are a bit higher than AAC and other car services.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 09:45 PM

"travelsusan on Mar 12, 17 at 5:57pm
Thanks what is an AOT car?"

Yes, as mentioned above, just another car service. I just ask for the least expensive car. It couldn't be any easier as their booth is right there in the baggage claim area and then as soon as you exit, their next booth is right there on the other side and you only need to hand the receipt to an AOT representative and then away you go in one of their cars.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 01:21 PM

TTT for Bob