Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Bangkok - Tourist sites and demonstrations?
Notices

Bangkok - Tourist sites and demonstrations?

Dec 30th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok - Tourist sites and demonstrations?

I will be in Bangkok next month and I want to be still see things but be careful. I understand that the Democracy Square area is often the site of demonstrations. I also heard that some of the sites in the historic area can also have demonstrations but I am not certain about this. Is is safe to predict which areas would be good to visit and which should be avoided?
Dec 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Strongly suggest you follow @RichardBarrow on twitter. He has up-to-the-hour reports on demonstrations and links to maps.
Dec 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM

quite a few of the sites are not far from democracy monument, so I suggest that you take river boats to get there from taskim BTS station.

your hotel will advise you daily on which areas to avoid.

honestly, it not at all a big deal. I was there last month for many of the demonstrations and it was easy to avoid them.
Dec 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM

I have been and plan to follow Richard Barrow while in BKK in January. However, I think for those who know BKK well, it's no doubt a lot easier to figure out how to avoid the demonstration sites.
Dec 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Suthep, the protest leader, has called for the "seizure" of Bangkok, starting this weekend. How successful, and how long, will have to be seen.

A couple Sundays ago, they were pretty much able to turn much of downtown into a parking lot.

Now, even more than usual, "flexibility" is the key!
Dec 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM

We could see the large demonstration a couple of weeks ago from our Sukhumvit apartment location, and yes, I was surprised at how much they could tie up and stop traffic in the mall area. It will depend entirely on numbers just how much they can disrupt things. I saw the takeover of the mall area a few years ago and it lasted a long te. It could be avoide though.i

Search this Thread