Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok to Vietnam flights overpriced? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-to-vietnam-flights-overpriced-663296/)

topdoggerel Dec 9th, 2006 07:59 AM

Bangkok to Vietnam flights overpriced?

My wife and I need to fly from Bangkok to Saigon (1/24) and return Hanoi to Bangkok (2/7). Various people in this forum have suggested Vietnam Airlines as a good, fairly reliable choice, but have suggested one should wait until one gets to Thailand to book airfares because the prices are SO much better.

I contacted a travel agent there, Eddie at Aniwat, who quoted me a price of THB11380 per person ($350? depending on exchange rates) per person all taxes included for economy flights.

The good news is that I will be in Bangkok as part of a tour 3 or 4 days before I need the first flight, so I have time to make the reservation. The bad news is that there is just one flight a day on that airline.

I guess I am too used to booking flights well in advance, and don't feel as comfortable trying to find a travel agent or two, get quotes and compare prices. Do these flights fill up or are there usually seats? Are there other good airlines in case that happens? Can I really save that much (I hope so) by waiting? Any help would be much appreciated.

Kathie Dec 9th, 2006 08:43 AM

The two full service airlines that fly between the two countries daily are Vietnam Air and Thai Air. There are several other airlines that have flights several times a week (like Air France). Ask Eddie to price all of the options for you and tell you which airline has the best price. Eddie, because he is at the American Express office in Bangkok can get you Thailand prices for your tickets. Make sure he knows you want the lowest prices he can find. Lower prices mean there is a penalty for changing or cancelling.

Tickets are unlikely to get any cheaper if you wait. If $325 (at a 35 baht to the dollar rate) is too pricey, there are some budget airlines that fly at least one of those routes. But remember, the budget airlines limit your luggage and charge extra for overweight luggage, have no advance seat assignments, etc.

mrwunrfl Dec 9th, 2006 08:46 AM

Just two comments: 1) it's more like $320, and 2) that trip might be priced as two one-ways, not as an open-jaw, because the open leg (SGN-HAN) is longer than each of the two flown legs.

mrwunrfl Dec 9th, 2006 08:50 AM

Could ask Eddie what the roundtrip prices are between BKK and Hanoi and between BKK and SGN.

JamesA Dec 9th, 2006 10:20 AM

Air asia ( budget airline ) do Hanoi-Bangkok but you have to be aware of the limited baggage allowance and strict conditions. As Kathie has mentioned Air France also do BKK- SGN but on that day you wish to travel only Thai and Vietnam Airlines. returning HAN-BKK on that day is Thai, Vietnam Airlines, Air Asia or Air France.

JamesA Dec 9th, 2006 10:27 AM

Oh an waiting until you arrive in Bangkok, well, that is simple, if the flights are full then you are not going to get there. Ask Eddie for the best deal available, but as others have said flying into one and out from the other is what is putting the fare up.

rhkkmk Dec 9th, 2006 10:37 AM

book now, don't wait till you get there....the price is about right....air france also flies some days from bkk to saigon and on the other days to hanoi....check them out with eddie too....hard to beat eddie's prices...

eurotraveller Dec 9th, 2006 11:28 AM

I just flew one leg from Hanoi to Bangkok for $64 and that included tax. I flew Air Asia and had no problem. I travel light so the luggage allowance isn't a problem for me.

LeighTravelClub Dec 9th, 2006 11:42 AM

http://www.asia-discovery.com/Vietnam/flight.htm
above link might help

mystic1947 Dec 9th, 2006 12:06 PM

Eddie got me some good prices. Maybe he only checked Vietnam Airlines. I just checked Thai Air for the dates you mentioned and it is THB 13415. Ask him what "his" price would be for Thai or any other airline. Let him know you are looking for the cheapest tickets. He is a pleasure to work with.
Good luck
Pat

topdoggerel Dec 9th, 2006 07:32 PM

A huge thank you to EVERYONE for all the great ideas and suggestions. I'll take action right away.

Arthistory Dec 10th, 2006 06:24 PM

Just read your post, so you perhaps have already done this. I will be flying to Hanoi from Bankok, and Asia air the discount airline has flights from $99.00 one way. Hope you have fun, I plan to!

ekscrunchy Apr 25th, 2007 04:30 AM

Saving this for trip next winter..