Bangkok to Luang Prabang by Air

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok to Luang Prabang by Air

I know that there is an airline that flies between these two cities a few times a week but I can't remember which one?

Would someone refresh my memory?

Gracias!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

I just found it. Bangkok Air! Any others?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM

If you wanted to you could fly Lao Airlines BKK to Vientienne and connect. Lao Airlines actually offers some good looking special excursion passes. http://www.laos-airlines.com/index.asp

You could also take Thai Air to Vientiene and work your way to LPQ via air on Lao or bus. To me, Vientiene looks interesting, though quite different from Luang Prabang.

We also have found this neat looking place called the Gibbon Experience. It's not for everyone, but based on your posts I thought you might be interested. It is on our list as a possibility.
http://www.gibbonexp.org/en/visit.htm
I've read plenty of trip reports and blogs that include a stay there, and it seems it is simply awesome and a great cause, though if you are squeamish about bugs and animals, not the place for you.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Kim:

I have read on other posts that the lao air address that you have is a French one and the Excursion pass was not being honored on Lao Air. Here is the Laotion website for lao air

http://www.laoairlines.com/

Don't know who is right or wrong but definitly a controversy

Aloha!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM

That's interesting. I hadn't paid much attention to the source of the website.

It seems you can't buy tickets online? They give a long list of agencies and offices, and the place in France I linked to isn't included there.

I'm going to e-mail them in Laos and ask them about the Excursion passes...now I'm curious what the deal really is. If the French site is bogus, then I'll bet plenty of people get caught.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim. Although the Gibbon Experience is enticing, I don't think I will try to fit it into my trip.

I plan on doing the Mae Hong Son loop from Chiang Mai, possibly by motorbike (I am sure to hear many words of warning about this).

I am going to spend a few days chilling out in Pai along the way, taking about 10 days to do the loop.

Cheers!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Do you know about this place in Chiang Mai? A while back Gloria mentioned it, and I've had it bookmarked as an option. http://www.joyshouse.net/new_site/inside/culture.htm
I'm pretty sure Gloria visited the School for Life recently.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM

KimJapan, wasn't it your daughter who had the frightening episode after the Elephant Camp, once you were in Phuket? - and, you are still up for Gibbon Camps and more bugs.....? better you than me!
Sue (heading back to BKK and environs for a month in Jan 07)
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Based on the posts from this Board this sounds like a great possibility for us for a few days during our Jan/Feb trip. Bangkok Air though seems somewhat expensive (when it's just for 2 or 3 days was over $500 US)and in my checking was the only airline that flew in there. Don't fancy sitting on a bus for hours getting there. Anyone know of a more economical way to get there but not overland?
Sue
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM

SueHuml...yep, that was us you recall having the sick daughter. We're all interested in the Gibbon Experience. We figure you can get sick anywhere, and avoiding places like elephant camp and more rural places like the Gibbon Experience because of the potential for illness isn't our style, but we well understand that not everyone is the same regarding what risks they will take. For some reason, who knows what reason that it, as I am by nature reasonable and cautious, the Gibbon Experience doeesn't spook me at all....well, the leeches gross me out a bit, but Kathie survived them in Malaysia so I figure I'll survive them too.

On the transportation issue...between Bangkok and LP the only airline with a non-stop is Bangkok Air. I've got an e-mail to Lao Airlines in Laos abour their excursion pass but no reply yet. They fly between Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang maybe 3 days a week, or 2? You can also take a boat from a small town across the border accessed from Chiang Mai quite easily by bus or car...a really expensive oone, a moderate one or a cheap one that takes 2 days. Sorry the details are missing...but you can easily find information if you google "chiang mai luang prabang boat."

Or you can fly via Vientiene from Bangkok on Thai or Lao.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:12 PM

On the topic of the Excursion Pass I posted a link about...

It is NOT valid according to the person I e-mailed in Laos in Lao Airlines reservations office. They said "it is not valid because the fare is incorrect."

Good thing to be aware of. Thank you for the heads up HT!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:13 AM

We have purchased a return ticket with airasia $90AUD to Udon Thani and then going overland
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:49 AM

The Udon Thani option is a good choice ! then go thru Nong Khai to Vientiane. If you plan to spend a night in Udon Charoensri Grand Royal is good for an overnight stop, about AUD 40, Ban Chiang about AUD 35
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM

Heard of the Silver Reef B&B?

BKK-UTH-BKK now $64AUD
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM

I've done a lot of internet research recently, and just booked a flight on Bangkok Air - they seem to be the only ones who fly direct from BKK to LP. This qualifies for their Discovery Pass (at least in September it does) and is about $110 USD one way. There's only one flight per day, so you have to make sure of the time for connections.