Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok to Kuching on Air Asia - where to go through customs/immigration?

Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I know AIr Asia is a point-to-point carrier - we had to purchase 2 separate tickets: Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur and Kuala Lumpur-Kuching. So I doubt they'll check our bags all the way though to Kuching.

If we need to collect and re-check our bags in Kuala Lumpur, will we also need to go through immigration there, or just in Kuching?

I'm trying to figure out if a 65-minute layover will be enough time in KL between the two flights.
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM

You will have to go through immigration and pick up your luggage in KL and re-check it, go back through passport control to board your flight. Air Asia flies in/out of the budget carier terminal. I haven't been to that terminal so don't know whether you can make that close a connection. At the regular terminal that would not be a possible connection.

In Kuching, you'll fill out another form and go through passport control again to enter Sarawak.

We loved Kuching - have a great time!
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie...I thought so.
Glad I didn't purchase the tickets yet, I think we'll need a bit more time between flights.
Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM

Hi John, I just read your excellent Myanmar report which I somehow missed. When are you going to be in Kuching? We'll be there next week!
Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Not until the end of July - have a great time, looking forward to hearing what you thought!
Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM

very easy to do in k/l... everything is very simple there... the area is quite contained... each flight is a totally seperate unit...

make sure you buy advance seat res....allows you on the plane first and you can have the best seats...