Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok to Do List (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-to-do-list-813360/)

BillT Nov 6th, 2009 10:12 AM

Bangkok to Do List

Things we will be doing on our January trip to BKK in no particular order. Please add some other ideas- you can get a sense of what we like to do by the list below (translation- eat, shop, sleep, shop , eat!) . We have seen all the sites in our previous 2 trips:

1) MBK
2) Paragon
3) Gaysorn
4) Amarin Plaza
5) Weekend Market
6) Nari Phand
7) Wat Arun
8) Night Market
9) Silver shops (behind Oriental Hotel)
10) Thai Craft Center
11) Baan Khanitha- on Sathorn- will try for the first time
12) Penn – Mei Jiang for Dim Sum
13) Conrad- Liu for Dim Sum , maybe dinner
14) Kinaree – will try for the first time.
15) Daily massages in our room at our hotel- Plaza Athenee ( for the wife - 2 hours for about $25)
16) Café Bistro – in Pratunam Princess hotel – maybe for dinner
17) Saladaeng Café – dinner
18) Jim Thompson Factory Outlet
19) The Loft at Cental Childom
20) Crepes and Company

Craig Nov 6th, 2009 10:46 AM

Bill - looks like a good list. Be aware that Narai Phand has moved - it is now in the arcade attached to the Intercontinental Hotel.

BillT Nov 6th, 2009 11:09 AM

Thanks- thats even closer as its right off the sky train.

Mango7 Nov 6th, 2009 11:51 AM

Silom and Soi Convent food stalls at night. Patpong market across the street is an interesting walk-through.

BillT Nov 6th, 2009 11:58 AM

Thanks Mango - we will do that - but my understamnding is that at the night market in Patpong they don't discount- they don't bargain -but it will be an iteresting walk.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 6th, 2009 01:37 PM

It's Thailand Bill....they always bargain.

Aloha!

kuranosuke Nov 6th, 2009 01:54 PM

bill, if you are going to be in bangkok jan. 20-24, plan to attend the rhythm of the earth world festival on the mall in front of central world. its a four-day festival with music from around the world, and also bar-b-q from different places. last year i saw the keven lock ensemble, a native american dance troupe. they toured several schools in thailnad, and was sponsored by the us embassy. the ambassador was there to introduce the group.

they also had musicians from china and israel, and of course, from local schools, including dancers from the mercy center.

its free, and i think very worthwhile. so go have a beer, some bar-b-q, and enjoy the great entertainment. tell olive thanks for the massage tip.:-)

BillT Nov 6th, 2009 03:15 PM

kuransuke- thanks we will check that out!

simpsonc510 Nov 6th, 2009 05:41 PM

You might want to include Pratunam Market area. There is an air conditioned mall, Pratunam Center, that has some interesting stuff, although a lot of stalls are not open. I found some nice scarves there (cheap).

Platinum Mall is a good place for clothing, but in Asian sizes (think size 0!!) but a good place to see the new young Thai designer things. They don't pay a whole lot for their little stall space in this mall (air conditioned). You can always tell where the "latest" fashion is, the young girls will all crowd around one little stall as the "owner" opens up for business for the day. Much of the stuff is quite obviously hand stitched work. But waaay to small for me... and waaaay too young in design as well! But definitely a glimpse at young Thai style.

Amarin, IMO, is better than NariPhand for Thai craft work. You can negotiate prices at Amarin, I've never tried at NariPhand (in their new location by the Intercontinental). I used to bargain at the old location. This new place looks way too formal (like a real mall store) so I don't know if you can try to bargain or not. They do have nice stuff!

Oh my gosh, I just looked at your list and you don't include Central World Plaza!!! How can you not go there!!! Even if only for the Haagen Dazs!

Carol

rhkkmk Nov 6th, 2009 06:37 PM

yes platinum fashion mall is better than mbk we think

lady boy show??

GTG

hair cuts at penn...

simpsonc510 Nov 7th, 2009 04:17 AM

Olive might like face threading! I had mine done on suk soi 8 at a local place called Tub Tim. 300 baht.

Bob, MBK is good for lots and lots of different items, and Platinum is really only fashion. I would not, personally, rate Platinum over MBK at all. Pratunam, for me, is better than Platinum as well. MBK is more "expensive" (lol) than the others, but offers everything in one location.

rhkkmk Nov 7th, 2009 04:42 AM

i guess i just find MBK a bit of a let down

BillT Nov 7th, 2009 06:34 AM

Yes of course Calypso Cabaret and Central World to my list. I might do Pratunam Market as well.

unitoro Nov 7th, 2009 06:45 AM

haha - I was going to suggest a lady boy show too...