Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok- Thai Buffets (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-thai-buffets-335158/)

BillT Jul 9th, 2003 04:35 AM

Bangkok- Thai Buffets

Looking for some suggestions on where we can get a good Thai buffet for dinner. We will be at the Peninsula- so it should be convenient to the hotel, along the river, or accessed by the Sky Train. Good food, nice ambiance- we don't mind paying $30 or so per person.

Kathie Jul 9th, 2003 05:53 AM

Does it have to be dinner? I have a suggestion for a Thai "buffet" lunch. I've never found any food that improved in flavor or appearance from being placed on a steam table. So I loved the order-from-the-menu buffet available at lunch at the Thai restuarant in the Grand Hyatt (it's very close to a Sky train stop). You order as many dishes as you want from a special menu, and you can order a few dishes at a time. It was a great way to try out dishes we didn't know and might not have risked ordereing otherwise. It was a pretty setting, and the price was quite reasonable.

BillT Jul 9th, 2003 06:33 AM

Kathie- yes lunch may work as well. How much was the buffet?

rhkkmk Jul 9th, 2003 09:30 AM

the indoor/outdoor restaurant at the pen has a buffet---not limited to thai...
the lord jim restaurant at the oriental has a fabulous luncheon buffet for about $18/per...it is international, with lots of fish/seafood---outstanding

the indian restaurant on the top floor of the rembrandt hotel has a fabulous sunday buffet...great view of the city...soi 18, sukumvit rd---take a taxi from hotel or skytrain to sukumvit --can't remember which stop but it is the one at the mall on sukumvit about soi 39?????

almost all major hotels have buffets

Maudie Jul 9th, 2003 05:07 PM

Hi, How about trying an evening river trip on the Lava Noy (which we booked from our hotel, The Crowne Plaza),which is an antique rice barge. The staff were so polite & all dressed in traditional Thai dress. We had a stunning meal of quite a few courses all to a background of Thai music, then Thai dancing. Were then treated to the laser show at the Temple of Dawn, which is a hit & miss affair. We were able to get off the barge and view it from the grounds. That evening out still remains one of our highlights of Bangkok!

Kathie Jul 9th, 2003 06:24 PM

Sorry, I can't remember the price, but it wasn't more than $10-12 per person tops.

BillT Jul 10th, 2003 04:19 AM

Maudie- yes we are exploring dinner river cruises and have looked at this one as a possibility. I would like to know some specifics about the menu. We are looking for some good asian variety- not Shi Shi- just plain good asian food.
What was the menu that was provided?
Did you get to sit where you wanted on the boat?
How was the weather- as I understand it is not an enclosed ac affair.

rhkkmk Jul 10th, 2003 09:12 AM

although i do not know it first hand, i have been told many times that the food on the river boats is not all that good and sometimes is quite bad....take this for what it is worth...

i would take an afternoon or morning river trip, maybe even at lunch or just the long tail boats and have your good meal at a nice restaurant...
thats my 4 cents worth

Maudie Jul 11th, 2003 07:30 PM

Hi BillT, There was a table reserved for us, but it is a small barge and I think all the tables were against the edge with a middle aisle. We were lucky and had no rain, but there were plastic sides that dropped down. The meal included Green Chicken Curry, Crumbed Pork, Chicken wrapped in banana leaves, Satay, Red beef Curry, vegetables, steamed rice followed by fruit platters and all served on a beautifully decorated table. We had our teenagers with us and they loved it! It is tourist orientated but we had a great night out, saw the river by night, the light show, had some stunning food and got treated with Thai grace, what more could you ask for?

Maudie Jul 11th, 2003 07:47 PM

Hi BillT, Just found this web site with some photo's, may help you.
http://www.anniebees.com/China/China_63.htm or try their own site loynava.com.
Happy holidays.

itsfred Jul 16th, 2003 12:56 PM

The Bangkok Regent's Sunday brunch was the MOST amazing, beautiful, eclectic, luxurious, bounteous, delicious meal I've ever had (and I've been around).

MarcieLynn Jul 16th, 2003 01:38 PM

The Sunday Jazz Brunch at the Sukhothai is terrific.

While not specifically Thai, it caters to many different tastes and includes Thai, Chinese, and Japanese dishes.

We've gone all three times we were in Bangkok. It's like a traditional of ours now. Cost is about $35 per person.

Champagne is NOT included but that was more than made up for with the foie gras station! Get a seat away from the band otherwise, it's too loud to talk.

Peep Jul 17th, 2003 11:00 AM

Hey! We took the Loy Nava dinner cruise and thought it was fun and a nice experience, but didn't think the food was all that great.