Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Tailors - Recommendations please (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-tailors-recommendations-please-819601/)

tony8028 Dec 31st, 2009 07:13 PM

Bangkok Tailors - Recommendations please

Hello

We are in Bangkok for 2 days only during February and wanted to get some clothes made while we are there.

Having been there a couple of times, I know that the chances of getting an unbiased recommendation to a tailor in this city is almost impossible because everyone seems to be on some sort of kick-back commission.

OR...you ask a Tuk Tuk drive to take you to a tailor and they drive you to a local temple first etc...

I'd really like a recommendation on a tailor that offers good value and can turn things around quickly.

I notice that the tailors around the some of the 5 star hotels charge almost as much as it would cost me here in Australia....so looking for some local value !

I am staying at the MBK center......so anywhere around there would be great....will have easy access to Sukumviht via the sky train too.

Any recommendations ?

thanks !

Tony

rhkkmk Dec 31st, 2009 07:36 PM

my tailors all require more than 2 days sorry...

tony8028 Dec 31st, 2009 08:20 PM

rhkkmk, I have had shirts tailor made within 24 hours in Bangkok. Order in the morning, pick up following morning. So there are some that can do it who have staff working late into the night.

rhkkmk Jan 1st, 2010 04:59 PM

oh they all can do it, but generally the product is inferior...on shirts i usually have at least one fitting if not two and tailored clothing i have many fittings....

adamcalvin Jan 1st, 2010 08:50 PM

I am a frequent visitor to bangkok for my business trip. You can try Excelsior tailor. They are good but its best to tell the tailor of your timing in bangkok and most of them can provide you the tailored clothes or post it back home after your order is complete.
I am always happy with my tailor so never tried any other tailor.

deptrai Jan 2nd, 2010 07:13 AM

I use Excelsior now too (used to use Monet Il Sarto), but would not attempt to have anything made in 2 days.

tony8028 Jan 2nd, 2010 02:59 PM

Thanks adamcalvin and deptrai..

Any idea what you'd pay for a standard business shirt here? Or a 2 piece suit perhaps?

Appreciate the recommendation

deptrai Jan 2nd, 2010 07:23 PM

Last purchase (January 2009) was 3 short-sleeve shirts. I paid 2,000 Baht. The more you buy the lower the unit price. Must bargain with Sonny. They will pick you up from your hotel to make sure you get there without getting lost or wandering into some other tailor shop. Here are all the numbers I've used to contact them...081-234-5923, 081-536-4867, 02-234399, 086-363-9044(helper's #).

deptrai Jan 2nd, 2010 07:25 PM

Sorry...I paid 3,000 Baht (not 2,000).

StanKase Jan 3rd, 2010 08:59 AM

I would not chance anything but a few shirts. Also 3000BAHT sounds high unless they were 140 Egyptian Superfine cotton. On suits or jackets you need 3 days minimum and 3 fittings. Even on shirts you should have 2 fittings. On slacks you could do in 2 days and Monti Sarto might due them with if you if you contacted him in advance and could arrive near when he opens around 10-10:30 and come back at 7 for a fitting and back again at 10-11AM the next day they should be ready. If they are 99% perfect he can make the adjustment in 2+ hrs. and get them to you. He might even be able to do an exact copy of a suit that fits you 100% except for maybe the waist and sleeve length. I use 150 Canali-typw Superfine wools that he has. I had him ship them home when I took 3 days and 4 fittings but did not want to carry them as we were traveling beyond BK. He split the shipping. i HAD HIM MAIL THEM 3 DAYS BEFORE I WAS DUE TO RETURN TO THE US AND THEY ARRIVED 3 OR 4 DAYS AFTER I WAS HOME.

rhkkmk Jan 3rd, 2010 10:02 AM

just paid $20 each for shirts...

tony8028 Jan 3rd, 2010 12:59 PM

3000 Bht sounds very expensive to me too...I guess there are different quality grades, but when i was there last time I also paid around $20AU ...so more like 600 - 700 Bht.