Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok tailors - hiking clothing (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-tailors-hiking-clothing-981510/)

Konjn Jun 12th, 2013 09:07 PM

Bangkok tailors - hiking clothing

Looking for tailors who have the new wick type materials. Would be super handy as Asia can be very sweaty for some of us. There's many names for this material but generically it's wicking where is absorbs the wetness away from your body and moves it to the surface where it then evaporates. When washing and hanging in the bathrooms of Asia it drys overnight. Backpackers love it even though most buy the cotton shirts.

Hope someone can help with a few tailors who'll make outdoor/hiking clothes.

Hanuman Jun 12th, 2013 09:23 PM

Strange question from a first time poster on Fodors!

stephbayne Jun 12th, 2013 11:47 PM

brilliant question...will be interested in the answers as well!

MissGreen Jun 13th, 2013 12:27 AM

I don't know what a new wick material is??

We used James Tailor. Our guide recommended them. Who cares if they got a kick back. They were very professional. Their company car dropped us back at the hotel after our first visit. They collected us again for our fittings and returned us to the hotel then when the items were finished they delivered them to our hotel with one of their staff who did a final check when we tried everything on.

Konjn Jun 13th, 2013 05:45 AM

These fabrics aren't for suits. It's for hiking and outdoor activities. Golf shirts are starting to use the materials too. I'm not interested in suits but am interested in custom tailoring with specific fabrics. Wicking fabrics move your sweat away by migrating it to the outside of the shirt for evaporation thereby keeping the hiker or golfer cooler.

As to a tailor... Only interested in ones that use these materials. :) thanks all

Kathie Jun 13th, 2013 06:39 AM

I'm guessing you won't find any tailors displaying these fabrics in their shop windows. The question would be whether they could get the fabric you want. I think you will need to go from tailor to tailor, showing them exactly the fabric you want and asking whether they can get the fabric. The other option would be to bring the fabric with you.

jacketwatch Jun 13th, 2013 06:42 AM

So why can't you buy some off the rack like here? Where do you reside and are they hard to get there or do you just prefer them to be custom made.
Thank you. Larry

rhkkmk Jun 13th, 2013 07:02 AM

doesn't seem to me to be the type of thing the normal bkk tailor would deal with..

DonTopaz Jun 13th, 2013 07:20 AM

I've tried to do something similar in both Bangkok and Hong Kong. I went to about a half-dozen tailors in each place and had no luck.

Seems that the material used in these casual clothes needs very different treatment than the wools, cottons, and blends used in traditional shirts and suits. This affects both the cutting and the manufacture, and the tailors don't want anything to do with it.

Kathie Jun 13th, 2013 07:59 AM

I wondered about that, Don.

Guenmai Jun 13th, 2013 05:36 PM

Yes, I was also wondering why that type of clothing would be difficult to find ready made. I've been buying it here in L.A. area since the 1990s and have a travel wardrobe made of it. I haven't seen the fabric at tailoring places in Bangkok although I have my clothes made there . I haven't even seen the fabric available to purchase either here or there although I purchase my regular fabrics here in the L.A. garment district and take them with me to Bangkok.

I have ready-made safari-style shirts, skirts, and pants made out of the travel fabrics. I also have travel clothes made out of the bugs-away fabric which I bought back in the early 2000s.

www.exofficio.com

www.travelsmith.com

www.magellans.com

www.distantlands.com

www.adventure16.com

Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Jun 13th, 2013 07:40 PM

I have seen the fabric here but not often--usa

Konjn Jun 13th, 2013 11:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like taking a piece with me and having a trek to various stores is in order.

khunwilko Jun 16th, 2013 05:20 AM

even if they have the fabric, I'd be surprised if they had the technology to make the seams correctly.

Try linen...

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...-for-linen.cfm