Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Tailor Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-tailor-recommendation-444976/)

ahorvath Oct 5th, 2008 04:03 PM

Bangkok Tailor Recommendation

Hi, I'm looking for a good reliable tailor in Bangkok. Staying at Royal Orchid Sheraton Nov. 11 - 16. I know there are tons next door at River City--are they trustworthy? I'm always leery of the shops advertising 10 shirts, 14 suits, 12 pants, 10 ties in 24 hours!

Kathie Oct 5th, 2008 04:18 PM

You should be wary of those "tailors" advertising 24 hour service! If you search for tailor recs here, you'll find many.

At River City, there is a tailor right across the skybridge from the ROS called Bauman's. He's been there ever since I first stayed at the ROS (ahem, more than 20 years), and I know several people you have used him (including my ex) who have been satisfied. Is he the best tailor in town? I'm sure he isn't. But his work is good, his prices are reasonable and it will be very convenient for you to get multiple fittings, which is one of the major factors in getting tailoring you like.

rhkkmk Oct 5th, 2008 05:59 PM

i have had two bad experiences with shops in river city....both involved discussions about having things made....when they found out i was shopping, as i was new to tailored clothing, they became hostile, even yelled at me....i vowed never to use a men's tailor in river city....

my experiences around town are just the opposite....

now i use monet il sarto. the tailor is jack and he is on the 2nd floor of the mini-mall attached to the marriott resort and spa, down the river from the sheraton....take sheraton boat to taskin and then transfer there to the marriott boat....a really nice ride even if you don't buy anything...

good quality, good prices, good selection of fabrics...

if you have a woman with you my wife however does use a river city tailor....on the ground floor, just opposite the info booth, she uses JS Thai Silk....small shop with good workmanship....mostly silk and cottons...no wool

adamcalvin Oct 16th, 2008 02:38 AM

Try Excelsior Tailor inSuriwongse opposite Le Meredien and Tawana Suriwongse. They have been good and the suits have lasted me 10 years and have recommended many people to them in the past years.
Cheers

Guenmai Oct 16th, 2008 07:02 AM

I'm female and have lots of clothes made in Bangkok, annually, and you need to be able to go to SEVERAL fittings or else the chances of it not coming out right are high.

Sometimes I don't need to go to so many fittings as the same company (Cotton House) has been doing my clothes for years and I usually can take an article or more of clothing of mine in, drop it off, and tell them to copy it. They have my measurements down and know what I like and don't like. Happy Travels!

joseph98 Oct 17th, 2008 09:36 PM

During my visit to bangkok and after a heavy research. I found savilerow tailor.Behind le meridian there is a hotel called Rose hotel where the tailor is located. As i have tried khosan road, sukhumvit road tailor so far i would say that savilerow stands outstanding among all the 100 plus tailors store in bangkok. The price and quality is reasonable and the service is impeccable.If anyone is heading to bangkok don't forget to try them out.
contact [email protected]

Joseph

Garryphillip Oct 22nd, 2008 05:20 AM

I have stayed at shangrila near the river and was picked up by Excelsior tailor on prior appointment and recommendation from a colleage in London. The clothes purchased were all good.I had The fabric in Feragamo in birdeye pattern he uses horse hair lnterfacing (also called canvas or interlining) and there were some kind of fusing (as we mentioned fusing has come a long way in the past few years) but He is proud that they use the finest fusing fabric from France.
Dont go for the cheap deals that you get on touristy maps and books

Douglas_L Feb 25th, 2010 09:00 PM

I agree with at least one of those submitting recommendtions (Kathie); the best tailor I've found in Bangkok is Bauman. Reasonable price; great job on suits - you pick the fabric, with a wide choice of high quality, colors, etc. I have also had Bauman make custom cotton dress shirts. I first used this shop back in 1980s, and all their work looks good 30 years later. He's been in business a long time; used to be located adjacent to the old InterCon Hotel with the beautiful gardens, before that InterCon was sold and new InterCon hotel built. Not sure of exact address of Bauman's; I plan to find him next week for some more suits when I'm in Bangkok!

Hanuman Feb 25th, 2010 09:24 PM

Spam!