Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok – Sheraton Grande or JW Marriot or The Intercontinental (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-sheraton-grande-or-jw-marriot-or-the-intercontinental-535699/)

MiniAK Jun 10th, 2005 05:46 AM

Bangkok – Sheraton Grande or JW Marriot or The Intercontinental

Please help in choosing either one. Which one has bigger rooms and a more luxurious accommodation? . I guess both are centrally located.

lbrown7 Jun 10th, 2005 02:41 PM

I cannot comment on the others but I stayed at the Sheraton Grande last September and I am going back this September. The rooms were very large including a walk in closet and the bathroom has both a tub and shower. The service is wonderful and the buffet breakfast was outstanding. The pool it just great, it is all tropical and you cannot believe you are in the middle of the city. Good luck.

wrldtrvlr Jun 10th, 2005 03:51 PM

Stayed at the Marriot, and although it was a boatride away from everything (they provide the shuttle for free), I loved the rooms and surroundings, and would have to say the included breakfast was the best I've ever had! Pools were cool. I was there in 2002 so don't know if it's changed.

orgy7 Jun 10th, 2005 07:08 PM

the JW is not on the river.. it's in the city..

Hanuman Jun 11th, 2005 12:55 AM

Orgy - there are more than 1 Marriott in Bangkok. The JW Marriott IS in the city around Sukhumvit soi 4.

Hanuman Jun 11th, 2005 01:12 AM

Oops that was suppose to say that the other Marriott as referred to by Wrldtvrl is indeed on the river - the one Bob is the spoken for.

MiniAK Jun 11th, 2005 09:36 AM

Yeah.. I cannot make it to the Mariott which Bob is refering to..Have to stay at the city...Although would love to.. Have heard so much about it...

hobbes Jun 11th, 2005 08:27 PM

Locations are a bit different. JWM and Sheraton Grande are Sukhumvit and Intercontinental is Chitlom. Personally I prefer the Intercon location but is a matter of choice based on where you plan to spend your time.

clonard Jun 12th, 2005 08:41 AM

I styaed in JW Marriott in 2002 when it was known as The Grand Pacific and it was superb.Big rooms, staff were brillinat and helpful, it is close to the Sky Train and right in the centre for all your needs.

rhkkmk Jun 14th, 2005 08:42 PM

i can comment on the grande and on the jw...they are both very nice...both are lux...intercontinental is older ...pool areas at jw and grande are ok but not fab....lots of shade at grande and shallow pool at jw....grande and jw are virtually in same neighborhood....i would flip a coin...i prefer either of them to inter...

MiniAK Jun 14th, 2005 09:03 PM

Welcome back Bob… Awaiting for your trip report…We are off to BKK in the coming month.. First time so quiet excited. I think the budget might drive the choice.. Just came to know that both these hotels are easily above $100 including taxes and breakfast.. We had read somewhere around $75 and I mistook the price as inclusive all. Can you suggest another good place in the city that would be within $70-80.

tnnc Jun 15th, 2005 07:56 AM

The Novotel in Siam Square should be in that price range. Its also close to the Intercontinental.

Guenmai Jun 15th, 2005 08:36 AM

I'm a BIG fan of the Novatel(an Accor-chain hotel. Haven't stayed at the one in Bangkok, but have stayed at the one in Ghana, West Africa and it was very nice. I've stayed at other Accor-chain Hotels...like...the wonderful and inexpensive Suite Hotel in Paris...an Accor Hotel... and also there's the Accor chain's...Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel.It's at the Ploenchit skytrain station. I stayed there in August 2004 for one night and only paid 1500Baht...before taxes...1800+Baht after taxes...for a very nice Junior Suite with a walk-in closet and a kitchenette...Yes, you read the price correctly... It's no more than a 300 meter walk to the Ploenchit skytrain station. Although the area is not exciting, you only have to go ONE stop on the skytrain to get to the Chitlom stop to hit a lot of the shopping malls(or a few stops in the opposite direction to get to the Emporium mall and all of the restaurants and excitement along Sukhumvit) or TWO stops to get to the Siam sky train station...which is the main station where there's a lot going on and where you change directions to take the sky train down to the river area which is only a few stops...and the Jim Thompson house is only one stop from the Siam station at the National Stadium stop.The Novatel will most likely cost more than the Chateau de Bangkok because of the location, but the Chateau de Bangkok is more than adequate...plus they have a laundry room where you can wash your own clothes...as it is, not only a hotel, but a serviced apartment building as well. There's a pool on the roof.I highly recommend that you go on nancychandler.net and order her map of Bangkok before you leave and study it so that you can get an idea of the different areas.Plus she has written in the names of hotels,restaurants,shopping centers, and a LOT of other stuff. A friend just informed me, on Saturday-June 11th- that Nancy's new version map is out now. Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!

BillT Jun 15th, 2005 08:44 AM

Inexpensive in Paris- isn't that an Oxymoron?

MiniAK Jun 15th, 2005 09:12 PM

What a co-incidence.. I just shortlisted Novotel and was going to book it today.. The place sounds great.. Just what we want, considering that we have only two days out there….Also, the nancychandler map sounds like a good idea….The info was of great help….

rhkkmk Jun 16th, 2005 02:48 AM

you might look at the new holiday in which just opened on plenochit (not silom)...we looked at it a day or so ago and the rooms are quite nice...not sure of the price....may have oepning specials....great location...right on skytrain...very nice rooms..smallish 32.5 SQ M

Guenmai Jun 16th, 2005 09:28 AM

Bill...The Suite Hotel... is at Charles de Gaulle Nord 2...at the airport. That's why the price was lower. It was a GREAT,self-service hotel and every room was 30 square-meters big and for well under $100...spring 2004.There were all kinds of specials...some as low as around $60.I had free computer use,too. All rooms have one and a half bathrooms!I had a full bathroom with one bathtub and TWO showers, toilet, sink and lots of counter space and then a half bathroom with toilet and sink.I also had a mini-diningroom area with dining table and chairs and a day bed separate from my queen-sized bed.There were modern, bamboo panels that you could pull and divide off the bedroom from the dining room area. Plus there was a modern kitchenette...fridge... stainless steel sink and counters...microwave...the whole works.And free drinks and snacks. The hotel is ultra modern and very new. There was free shuttle service to the RER train station at Charles de Gaulle or I could take the shuttle to the airport and then take the Air France bus and get off at the Opera/American Express office area.The hotel was much quieter than the hotels in town although planes were flying around. I never once heard a plane. It was pindrop quiet. I had never heard of the Suite hotel, but Air France connected me with the Accor-hotel line after having bought a plane ticket and the person who picked up the phone was one of the bosses there and told me all about it.He asked if I was game to try it out and if so to please report back my experience. I did just that and even mailed photos of my room to his office. He said it was an experimental hotel. Happy Travels!

BillT Jun 16th, 2005 09:58 AM

Ok Guen - you convinced me Inexpensive in Paris is not always an Oxymoron.
FYI- for us having a kitchen is a negative not a positive- hey who goes on vacation and wants to cook! We go on vacation to get away from the kitchen!
It always amuses me to see people get excited to have a kitchen when they are on vacation- oh well the world is made up of all types!!!!

Guenmai Jun 16th, 2005 11:55 AM

Bill...It was a kitchenette...microwave...not a stove. And many of the people who stay there are Europeans who DRIVE to the hotel and leave their cars in the very convenient, big open-air hotel lot.Then they take the public transportation into the city. They bring food with them in their cars and warm meals/snacks up in the microwave. Plus there are families who stay there with their kids.I loved having a way to warm things up as I could buy food at the gourmet delis in Paris and then take it back to my room,pop it into the microwave,kick off my shoes, and have dinner in the dining area of my room.It was almost like living in a serviced apartment...without the service...since as I mentioned, it was a self-service hotel. In the lobby there was a huge fridge with packaged/prepared foods and drinks. No restaurant on the premises although there was a nice, country-style chain restaurant directly across from the hotel. Since the hotel was up at the airport, I didn't want to be wondering around, in town, too late at night and then have to take the public transportation back to the hotel.I usually travel alone. So, I would do lunch in town and dinner in my room. I usually stay in town, but on that trip decided to try something different. Happy Travels!

clonard Jun 18th, 2005 02:19 PM

Guenmai

What is the actual name of the Suite Hotel at Charles de Gaulle Airport PAris and how did you find it /book it I cannot find it on the web.

How far from Airport and the City