Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Shangri-La: Good Choice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-shangri-la-good-choice-364685/)

Laura_A Oct 8th, 2003 09:32 PM

Bangkok Shangri-La: Good Choice?

I'm thinking of using Priceline to get a room at the Shangri-La in late November (for $55-60 per night). Does anyone have good/bad comments about this hotel? My other option is a 4* hotel for a little less cost, but I can't be sure of getting a specific hotel on the river (such as the Marriott).

Lyndie Oct 8th, 2003 10:01 PM

Had 3 nights in July at Shangrila via priceline USD74-paid extra 30 USD and upgraded to executive level- breakfast,soft drinks,snacks all day free & after 5pm hot food & all alcohol (wine, spirits beer) was free. Great value and a fine choice right on the river. We loved it. Good luck.

watakeet Oct 8th, 2003 10:07 PM

I agree. We stayed in Feb 2003 and had a good time there. Also paid for the upgrade and it's worth it if you have some leisure time.

And the Oriental is within a few minutes' walk so you can enjoy both hotels during the same stay.

rhkkmk Oct 9th, 2003 07:18 PM

according to biddingfortravel tonight people are having trouble getting shangra-la on pricline at the moment...they only seem to offer rooms when it is quiet--like in the summer...

marriott continues to come up....

do you understand how priceline works?? you can't get a particular hotel...example.....all summer people have gotten the marriott in prague...i bid recently and did not get it but rather got another 5* hotel which had never been awarded before....i am delighted with the new hotel but it required me to change some plans....

i am hoping to bid for bkk in the winter, but would be devastated if i got the holiday inn on silom, when i wanted something on the river....so i am holding back and may bid in very small segments to make sure i get what i want or else i will buy directly from the hotel....its that important to me this time.....i only want the marriott in bkk on the river!!! shangra-la would be ok. but i do not like their pools as well and am afraid they might put me overlooking the highway bridge????

ThinGorjus Oct 9th, 2003 07:42 PM

The hotel is very noisy and there are a lot of people milling about. But, maybe you like that sort of thing? You certainly couldn't say the hotel was dead and lonely. The restaurant, Angelino's, that is one of many in the hotel, has excellent Italian cuisine. For the rate offered, sweetie, I would stay at the Shangri-La, and I am an Oriental fan.

IsisMnroe Oct 11th, 2003 09:53 AM

Re: Pricelin and Shangri-La
Please let us know if you bid and hotel you obtained. We are going to be in Bangkok 12/31/03 for several days and want to try Priceline too but want a hotel on the River. Thank you!

996tt Oct 11th, 2003 10:07 AM

We went there for breakfast while staying at the Oriental. For $60 this is a very good deal I think. However I don't know how good their rooms are.