Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok: Serviced Apartments and Tailors Again! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-serviced-apartments-and-tailors-again-564862/)

eurotraveller Oct 16th, 2005 07:22 AM

Bangkok: Serviced Apartments and Tailors Again!

I know this subject has been covered on a number of threads. I have read through them and they are very helpful but I guess I am looking for info that will help me, personally.

I have looked at the maps where these places are located but it doesn't help me much due to the fact that I have never been to bangkok, therefore I have no idea if the location is convenient for what I am looking for.

Hopefully, if I share some info with you all you will be able to help me decide on a place.

We arrive in Bangkok on Feb. 5th at about noon. We will stay 3 nights before heading down to dive and kayak around Krabi.

On our first 1/2 day I thought we would venture out to find fabric for the clothing we want to have made. I would also like to find some fabric to have some curtains made that will go with a beautiful bed cover that I bought this year while in Turkey. I am thinking along the lines of a lightweight silk or organza.

On our second day we would locate a tailor and get fitted for a few pieces of clothing each. I would guess we will each get 3-5 pieces. Maybe Peter will get a suit and I may get a ladies suit and a couple of blouses.

What serviced apartment would be ideally located in order to get this started?

When we return for 4 nights we will head straight to the tailor for a second fitting and then another one a couple of days later.

Does this sound like a feasable plan?

I wish I could have joined you all in Boston! While I was in Cappadocia, Turkey this year I ended up running into a woman that I had been conversing with on Fodors and another travel forum. It was like we were long lost friends! We had such a good time together for a couple of days! I am sure to visit her in Australia some day!

Cheers!

Tamara

eurotraveller Oct 16th, 2005 07:39 AM

I forgot to add that our ideal price range would be $50-70 USD per night but we would spend a little more for the right place.

Also, I noticed that a lot of people say they leave their luggage behind while they travel to other parts of the country. When you do this are you paying for the room the entire time you are away?

Most of the photos of the apartments show what appear to be gorgeous 2 bedroom deluxe wuites.

Can we expect the same standard of accomodation if we just stay in a deluxe studio?

Thanks!

eurotraveller Oct 16th, 2005 07:47 AM

I wish I could edit my posts! I mean suites NOT wuites! :-)

Kathie Oct 16th, 2005 08:51 AM

Hi, euro, I'm spending the weekend with a friend in your fair city.

I can respond to a couple of your questions. Most hotels will store your luggage for free or very low cost if you are returning to that hotel. It doesn't require that you rent the room while you are away. I can't speak for serviced apartments and whether they also have luggage storage facilities.

It sounds like you are assuming that you need to search for fabric and a tailor separately. That is not my experience. Every tailor I've ever used has had a fabulous selection of fabrics to choose from, and can always get you other fabrics if you know what you want. There are good tailors everywhere in Bangkok, so I don't have a recommendation on where to stay based on the tailor. I'd suggest you choose where you want to stay and assume you can find a good tailor near there.

One note: some serviced apartments have a minimum length of stay, such as a week. Check that carefully, as you are planning just a few days each stay.

eurotraveller Oct 16th, 2005 09:31 AM

Hi Kathie,

If you are trying to escape from the rain in SEA then you have come to the wrong place for the weekend! :-) Yesterday was a nice blusterly autumn day, they type I love in PDX!

I thought there might be better selection if I go to a fabric place before meeting with a tailor but it sounds like that isn't necessary.

We will actually be in Bangkok for a total of 7 nights, 3 at the beginning and 4 at the end.

Cheers!

Tamara

Marilyn Oct 16th, 2005 11:44 AM

We've used the Centre Point Silom serviced apartments several times and have always been very pleased with the apartment, staff, and central location. We have also left luggage there at no charge for as long as a week while we traveled to the islands.

I'm not sure what the current price is, but several years ago it was certainly within your budget. I think we paid about $65/night for a very spacious 1BR with full kitchen (including washer/dryer) and breakfast included. There's also a workout room, a pool, a Robinson's department store with a food market adjacent, and both a river taxi stop and the skytrain about 2 blocks away. Really pretty ideal, IMO, and incredible value for the money.

Clifton Oct 16th, 2005 12:27 PM

Marilyn, a quick side question on the Centre Point, if you don't mind? We're there in January and will arrive in the wee hours. We've let them know the time we're arriving, along with working through other details. Response back was good, but sort of overlooked the late arrival point. Do you recall if they have a 24 hour sort of reception area or office or... ? Someone to let us in basically.

Marilyn Oct 16th, 2005 12:49 PM

I don't think it will be a problem. When you enter the lobby, it's just like a hotel lobby, with a staffed desk to one side. I think there is someone on 24 hours.

Of more concern, Clifton, is how you are getting from the airport to the hotel. We found taxi drivers did not necessarily know the name since it's not one of the big hotels. Also, lots of taxi drivers do not speak or read English. You should be aware that the entry to the hotel is not right on the main road, but 1/2 block down a little street off the main road. (Easy if you know what you are looking for.) The Robinson's department store is a good landmark to watch for.

I know it's a bit more costly to hire a car from the hotel to pick you up at the airport, but we think it's worth it.

Kathie Oct 16th, 2005 01:39 PM

Yes, Euro, I've been enjoying the great fall weather. We spent this morning at the Chinese Garden.

My point about minimum stays is that if the serviced apartment has a minimum stay rule it applies to consecutive nights, so even if you have a total of 7 nights, since they are non-consecutive, you may not meet their requirements. Not all serviced apartments have minimum stay requirements, though some do, which is why I put in the warning.

For fabrics for curtains, you might try one of the Jim Thompson Outlet stores.

Clifton Oct 16th, 2005 01:40 PM

Thanks Marilyn, that's a very good point about the car. We knew that the Shangri-La was supposed to be close by and thought perhaps that pointing the taxi driver to that hotel might get us close enough to spot it. Overall though, it would probably not be the best idea for newbies to be wandering around Bangkok with luggage in tow at 3am, looking for the right entrance.

I'll check with the Centre Point and see if they have a driver to recommend.

Clifton Oct 16th, 2005 01:42 PM

PS, to Kathie's point, which is a well founded concern when we've looked at apartments elsewhere - the Centre Point took our booking for a 4 day period in January.

Marilyn Oct 16th, 2005 01:56 PM

Clifton, I know they can book a car for airport service. We've done it several times. The last time we took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and the guy got so lost I thought we would miss our flight. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I think it's only about $10 and well worth it in my opinion.

It's true that the ShangriLa is very nearby, but that area between New Road and the river is sometimes a confusing little warren of dead end streets. Especially if you're tired and jetlagged, get the hotel car for the first time going there.

We've always stayed for only a few days at a time, once for only 2 nights. I don't think they have a minimum stay.

hobbes Oct 16th, 2005 04:59 PM

Leaving your luggage behind while you travel in the left luggage of the service apt is very safe in reputed places. It does not mean paying for a room as most service apts have a left luggage room. Do go to Nitas Tessiles on SOi 7 for the curtain fabrics you want - they have a great range of sheers and lightweight fabrics. See what rate you get at Emporium Suites - great service apts right on the BTS so very convenient.

Clifton Oct 16th, 2005 05:26 PM

Thanks again Marilyn. I've set it up with hotels before to get a car in advance in other cities. I suppose it just didn't occur to me to ask with apartments. We'll send them a follow up email. Hopefully we can pay on arrival, as we've already done the fax thing for the apt and have that squared away.

Marilyn Oct 16th, 2005 06:09 PM

Clifton, I think you'll find the Centre Point much like a hotel, except that you get a lot more room. Staff has always been exceptionally helpful and friendly -- well, that's pretty much a description of the Thai people anyway.

Clifton Oct 16th, 2005 06:17 PM

We looked at the visuals on their web site based, actually, on hearing about them here on Fodors. I think it may have even been your post among others. Looks great and like a good value too.

We're really looking forward to it as a comfortable way to start off the trip, without too much of a splash. Then we can head out of BKK to get a little dirt under the nails!

Kathie Oct 17th, 2005 07:05 AM

Marilyn and Clifton, I'm glad you were able to confirm for Euro that there isn't a minimum stay at Centre Point. (By the way, Tamara, I think this is a great location for you!)

When I was looking at serviced apartments a few weeks ago for long stay, some of them wouldn't take reservations for less than 3 or 4 months! Once I retire I'll be able to stay that long, but unfortunately, not now!

sierrasara Oct 17th, 2005 06:15 PM

I recommend the Cotton House at the Oriental Place Shopping Arcade. It's near the Oriental Hotel. It is not cheap, but they do great work and the fit is superb. Ask at your hotel for the directions. You take the BTS and then a cab.

As to getting fabric beforehand I do recommend the Jim Thompson outlet. It's at 153 Sukhumbit, Soi 93. Again, ask the hotel to write out your directions for the cab driver because it involves BTS and a cab.

We stay at the Emporium Suites. It is a great serviced apartment. Asiarooms.com has good rates. There are cheaper places, just get near to BTS and you'll be fine.

Guenmai Oct 17th, 2005 07:07 PM

Sierrasara...I recommended the Emporium Suites to the posters, but later they posted their budget and the Emporium Suites is out of their budget. But, yes, it's a great place with a great location. Happy Travels!