Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok service apartments/hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-service-apartments-hotel-930843/)

yankeetraveller Apr 9th, 2012 05:15 PM

Bangkok service apartments/hotel

Hi Everyone,

My two brothers and I are travelling to BKK and would like to stay in a service apartment type with washer/dryer (travelling light). Our budget is about US150/night, centrally located (near subway). Can you please provide suggestions.

lcuy Apr 9th, 2012 06:14 PM

Adelphi Suites is nice, and just a short walk to the skytrain, as is Centre Point Silom (on the river, though very few rooms have river views).

Chatrium Suites are not quite as convenient, but very nice building.

I stayed at Emporium Suites last month and was very happy. The building is at the skytrain station and attached to Emporium Mall.

A few weeks later I stayed at the Hansar. Loved it. It is right behind the four seasons and the Regis. Great location.

Check agoda.com. All of these can be found for under $150 a night if you catch them on the right day.

Kathie Apr 9th, 2012 06:17 PM

You want to be close to the subway or to the subway or to the Skytrain? I use the skytrain all the time in Bangkok, but find that the subway goes few places I want to go.

A few serviced apartments to look into are the Adelphi suites, a very short walk to Nana station, or the Centrepoint Silom, close to both the skytrain and the water taxis. Make sure you check on which kinds of rooms have washer/dryers, as often, not all of them do. You might also look at the Chatrium.

rhkkmk Apr 9th, 2012 07:53 PM

chatrium would be my first suggestion---chatrium riverside

marriott mayfair

centre point silom

ascott properties

wmporium suites

marriott sukhumvit park

MichaelBKK Apr 9th, 2012 11:55 PM

There's a new Centre Point at Terminal 21, at the Asoke/Sukhumvit Skytrain/Subway interchange. It might be just out of your budget, though. You might also check the Citidines and Somerset in Sukhumvit Soi 16.

As others have said, check to make sure which rooms have washers/dryers.

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2012 04:03 AM

The new Centre Point at Terminal 21 is very nice, but in order to get the washer/dryer, you have to be a (very) long term rental. Businesses rent apartments there for a year, having their employees moving in and out as needed. The 'regular' apartments are smaller and do not have w/d facilities. I checked out this new place when I was in BKK in December/January.

I plan to stick with Adelphi Suites for now. I'm on my way back there next week.

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2012 04:04 AM

And I should also add that at Adelphi Suites, you need to book either the executive or deluxe one-bedroom apartment to get w/d. The studios do not have them.

rhkkmk Apr 10th, 2012 06:36 AM

above is corrected to emporium suites

lcuy Apr 10th, 2012 09:52 AM

You might also keep in mind that you can have laundry done at one of the many small laundries for about $2 per kilo. Often faster than waiting for the apartment washer/dryer combos that take HOURS to dry your clothing!

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2012 09:55 AM

I always hang my items around the apt to dry! Yes. The dryer takes forever!!! :))

dgunbug Apr 10th, 2012 09:55 AM

We stayed at Centerpoint silom several years ago and loved the location. The room was less than $100, was conveniently located to both the river and skytrain and the breakfasts were the best we had in Thailand with a mix of western and Thai food.

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2012 09:56 AM

Lucy, how was the price at Emporium?

lcuy Apr 10th, 2012 10:53 AM

I paid $106 in mid-February on Agoda.com. Oddly, the Adelphi suites were about $160 at the same time.

Kathie Apr 10th, 2012 11:12 AM

Interesting, as Emporium usually runs more than Adelphi.

rhkkmk Apr 10th, 2012 12:27 PM

that's thailand

lcuy Apr 10th, 2012 01:25 PM

Three weeks later, the Hansar was also less than Adelphi- $152 vs $160. On random other checks, I've seen Adelphi Suites as low as $96. I always check, Kayak, Agoda, Sawadees and the actual hotel sites. It is surprising how the prices fluctuate.

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2012 02:03 PM

I always book with Adelphi directly. I don't think I've ever paid more than about $120 for an executive apt there. The $96 would possibly be for a studio, or perhaps for a deluxe apartment. Doubtful that executive apts would ever be less than $100/night.

Anyway, thanks Lucy.

yankeetraveller Apr 11th, 2012 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone.

Simpsonc510 I've checked with Adelphi directly and surprisingly they were cheaper than everybody else.

lcuy Apr 11th, 2012 08:45 PM

They usually are, which is why I was so surprised this last time when I was there!

simpsonc510 Apr 12th, 2012 04:39 AM

Re: Adelphie Suites

You need to book their 'best rates' on line. You cannot just walk in the door and get that rate. They will tell you that right up front. I once wanted to book an additional stay there, after a few days in Samui. I asked at the front desk, and they told me the rate I would pay, and then they suggested I look on line instead. They were right! The res needs to be booked thru their central res on line.

Looking forward to my return next week! I am paying about $112 per night for my exec one bedroom apt.