Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi 9 days - family with 2 years old kid (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-phuket-koh-phi-phi-9-days-family-with-2-years-old-kid-1039772/)

ruby_pisit Mar 10th, 2015 12:12 AM

Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi 9 days - family with 2 years old kid

This is my family first time to Thailand. We have 9 days, end of this May.
We prefer relaxing and beach. So we decide to have 2 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Phuket and 4 days in Koh Phi Phi.

I am done with the flights. Bangkok-phuket-phuket-bangkok. I am looking for hotels in Bangkok that is close to the shopping mall and easy to go to the airport. And also hotels in Phuket and Koh Phi phi. Mid-range hotels are affordable to us.

So any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, places to go are welcomed!

Thanks a lot :D

lcuy Mar 10th, 2015 12:37 AM

What price would you consider "mid range" in Bangkok? There are lots of good hotels and lots of shopping malls. I look more for a hotel close to the sky train so I don't have to take taxis and get stuck in traffic.

It's very easy to get to the airport. You can take a taxi, prepaid car or the city link train. I often take the train to the airport, partly because it's only 45 baht and partly because I find it much more relaxing than a wild taxi ride. (I always get the wild drivers!!) With a 2 year old and all the luggage that entails, you'd probably find a taxi or airport limo the easiest.

LancasterLad Mar 10th, 2015 01:53 AM

As an alternative to Phuket, have a look at Khao Lak, which is only an hour north from Phuket Airpor by taxi.

I haven't been to Khao Lak yet, but I'll be there this coming Saturday for a week at the start of a 4 week trip. I've done plenty of homework and am glad that I've chosen to avoid the main Phuket resorts of Kata, Karon, and Patong.

Booking.com or Agoda are as good a places as any to search for accommodation. And as May is out of season on the Andaman Coast there are some very good accommodation deals.

We want to be close to Phuket Airport for our last few nights, so we are staying a ten minute taxi ride away at Nai Yang, which looks a great place to end a holiday.

ruby_pisit Mar 10th, 2015 02:51 AM

@Icuy: Yes, I think i will take a taxi from-to airport to CBD of Bangkok. My budget is around 50-60usd/night. I want to walk from my hotels to those shopping mall or less travel. I search on Agoda already, but not sure they are right to my expectations.
@ LancasterLand: I will wait for you feedback on Khao Lak then :)
But we stay only 2 nights in Phuket then we move to Koh phi phi so I prefer to stay close to town. I keep choosing the right one in Phuket now.

Can you recommend any good restaurants? we prefer Western food or chinese food
Thanks

BillT Mar 10th, 2015 03:08 AM

Bangkok hotel close to shopping- look at Westin Sukhumvit. Terminal 21mall. Right next door, sky train station right next door and only a few stops to the main shopping venues.

Kathie Mar 10th, 2015 11:43 AM

May is very rainy in the Phuket area - over 13 inches on average - and the sea will be rough. I'd suggest you choose a different beach location such as Koh Samui or Hua Hin. If you must go to Phuket, skip Phi Phi as the ferry there will be very rough going.

lcuy Mar 10th, 2015 07:08 PM

I suggest you try typing in the areas "Siam" or "Pratnum" on Agoda.com or Kayak.com to get some hotel ideas.The area around the Siam Skytrain station is FULL of malls such as MBK, Siam Paragon, Pratunam and Platinum.

Ibis Bangkok Siam and Holiday Inn Express and Glow are ones I have heard are pretty decent in that price range. Another might be the Asia Hotel. It is well situated and clean, but the furnishing are pretty dated.

ruby_pisit Mar 15th, 2015 07:00 PM

Thanks Icuy, i just booked IBIS Siam Bangkok. It's just right hotel I am looking for.

Also, I am considering a day tour to Phang Nga island from Phuket. Is it suitable for my 2 year old son?

Kathie Mar 15th, 2015 07:13 PM

At that time of year, the boat may not run to Phang Nga and if it does, it may be too rough for a 2 year old.

ruby_pisit Apr 6th, 2015 11:52 PM

I booked hotels in Bangkok and Phuket but I am still so confused about hotels in Koh Phi phi. I am now considering Phi phi Bayan resort, P.p Casita Hotel and Paradise Resort Phi phi?

Any reviews on these hotels?