Bangkok Night Market

May 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Bangkok Night Market

I will not be able to go to the weekend market on my trip but I heard there is a new night market in Bangkok(as compared to the old one?) which is just as nice, only smaller than Chatuchak. Would anyone know where it is, how to get there and what's it like? Thanks!
May 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I think the market you are talking about is Suan Lum which is located near Lumpini Park. The easiest way to get there is via the subway as it takes you virtually straight to it (Lumpini station). Basically same stuff available here as at Chatuchak, but it depends what you are after as we have found Chatuchak to be quite junky. This market does have quite a nice beer garden though and is a nice way to spend an evening strolling through the stalls. There is talk of it closing soon though due to high demand for the site, so you may want to check that its still open before you go. I do know that it is currently still trading.
May 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

I think that's it too. Thanks!
May 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM

If you go to the night market, you should see the Joe Louis Peppet Theater. It's right there in the market and a wonderful experience. You can buy tickets at the door.
May 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I live within walking distance to Lumpini Night Bizarre and I can say that it's nothing like Chatuchak. It is a nice little place to shop but its more of an upscale Patpong than a smaller Chatuchak. It does have a nice beer garden which I think someone mentioned earlier. I go there occassionally and enjoy the atmosphere. It also just added a large ferris wheel. A final benefit is that it is open every night and not just on the weekend. But for true power shopping, nothing beats chatuchak.
To get to Lumpini night bizarre take the subway (MRTA) to Lumpini station and your there. Alternatively, there are a number of buses that go by there.
May 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Patpong is seedy based on 3 night markets we visited but it is the biggest. But, big is not necessily better. Many stalls have the exact same same items. Also, it can be crowded after 8:30 but I think it is an experience worth 1 hour. I would not go back but happy we went. Remember, if you do not see the watch you want ask and 90% of the time they run to a distrubutor in the market and in 4-5 minutes they come back with most of the models requested. A picture of the watch is even better. If you pay more than $45-$50 you are over-paying. You may pay $60 if you buy 1 but can get 2 for $75-$80USD. If it has a second hand make sure it moves reasonably smoothly. I bought a number of watches for friends and 1 Tag really jumps from second to second. The better ones have a Seiko movement and all other parts are phony but those made in China they say are the closest to appearing authentic and I read can last 4-5 years. A Corum I bought there 6 years ago lasted just over 5 years. It was a copy of a $34,000 watch.
May 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM

We are heading to BKK shortly are are too looking to spend sometime at the night market, what should we expect as far as good vendors, good deals etc... are there designer goods?
Dec 25th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Just wondering about the night market as well as the market in Patpong...are these worth visiting?
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I found it totally geared towards tourists so not very interesting from my perspective. If I shop it's for unique crafts or antiques -- not stuff that is easily purchased in the states even if for more money. I went once a few years ago and will never return. i should add that I feel the same way about the night market in chiang mai.
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I've always enjoyed the night bazaar in Bangkok. I prefer SuanLum over Patpong, just my opinion. You will find shopping, food, and live entertainment in a beer garden sort of atmosphere at SuanLum.
Dec 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks! From what I read, Patpong night market is dominated by knock offs..(??) And the Suan Lum has some crafts..(?)

I hope to make it to Chatuchak if I can get myself out the first day after the flights..
Dec 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM

True, eks.