Reload this Page >

Bangkok/New Year's Day

Search

Bangkok/New Year's Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Barbara

Bangkok/New Year's Day

We will be arriving in Bangkok on the morning of January 1. Are things closed on New Years Day, or are there activities which can be tapped into? Would appreciate input.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Barbara

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:28 PM
Hanuman

The malls will be open but the city in general will be empty. For most extended holiday the local, Bankokian?, travel to the seaside or upcountry and Bangkok itself will be free of traffic jam and quite relaxing.<BR><BR>I'm not sure what type of activity that you want to tap into but if you just want general shopping etc then you'll be ok.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Barbara

Thanks for your reply. Shopping at the mall? Oh, dear. We would really like to get a feel for the people and the culture. We are considering some, or at least one, day trip outside the city during our 4 day stay. Would this be a good day for one of those? If so, do you have any suggestions for historical sites or cultural activities? Or any thing with the local flora or fauna?

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:02 PM
Hanuman

Hi Barbara,<BR><BR>I'm sure other people will give you good suggestion about what you can do since I'm not very good at giving that kind of advice. I would just like to add that traditionally the 1st of January is a bad day to be driving or on the road. Lots of accidents since quite a few people, truck drivers etc, are still hung over. Avoid long drives for that day and do your out of town trip or excursion on the 2nd or 3rd onward.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Barbara

Many thanks for good sound advice. Anybody out there know if there will be any kind of performances in the city which we might attend? Looking at our travel docs, I see that we won't be arriving until 11:00 am, so what we really would look for is something in the afternoon and/or evening. We'll be at the Royal Orchid. Anything in that vicinity?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 09:49 AM
donna

Last New Year's, we were at the Royal Orchid (too bad you will not be there for the huge Eve celebration and the fireworks...wonderful!). Plenty to see and do on New Year's Day. All the shrines/buddhas are open. As well as the huge mall downtown. No football games (thank God!) Take a boat ride on the river. Just remember to get the card from the front desk that gives the hotel name and address in Thai. Very few of the locals speak any English. FYI, there is an ATM and a 7-11 right across from the hotel, as well as a great arts mall. Wonderful stores and vendors on the side streets near the hotel. Plenty of great quality knock-offs...pocketbooks and watches. Bargain the price down.<BR><BR>The Thai restaurant in the hotel is wonderful. Ate there twice. Make a reservation and enjoy!<BR><BR>A truly fanastic experience in Bangkok. Loved every minute of it. Don't let the drive in from the airport scare you....it is a bit gritty. Hotel is<BR>stunning!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Barbara

Donna, you've just lifted my spirits. We travel when our own schedules permit, but that doesn't always allow for a full travel experience because of the holiday observance closures we sometimes encounter. No disrespect intended for those who are observing the holiday. Thank you for the information and the suggestions, and thank you, too, Hanuman for your input.<BR>I love these boards and have benefited greatly from them over the years. I hope that I, too, have on occasion been of help to others.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Nancy

Dear Barbara:<BR><BR>Great idea to stay on the river as it is so easy to get around to the major sites that way; plus the river is the major artery of Thailand. Just sitting and watching the rice barges going by is fun.<BR><BR>There is a restaurant across the river from your hotel, called the the Sala Rim Nann. It is run by the Oriental Hotel. They have a very nice set course Thai meal and very good Thai dancing. You have to make a reservation. Call, e-mail or fax the Oriental Hotel for reservations. I am not 100% sure it will be open on New Year's Day, but am guessing so because it is tourist season.<BR><BR>Another fun thing to do is take Thai cooking lessons. There is a famous Thai cooking school at the Oriental Hotel, but it is closed the week between Christmas and New Year, and is probably not open. Your concierge may have other suggetions for cooking classes, as several other hotels offer them. They are one afternoon, or if you are really serious, can last several days. You might want to make a booking now for a course.<BR><BR>My other suggestion is that you make a spa appointment for a traditional Thai massage after your long flight! I am pretty sure spas will be open on that day. Not sure that the Sheraton has one (haven't stayed there in several years), but the Pennisula Hotel accross the river from you has a good one, as does the Oriental Hotel. The Marriott hotel on the river (Resort and Spa) has a very nice Mandara spa. (THe JW Marriott in the city also has one, but it is not a Mandara and I don't think it is as nice, plus its not on the river). You could take their boat from the shopping center in front of your hotel down to their hotel (about 1/2 hour, and get a good view of life on the river.) I would make a reservation now. Check the webistes for both hotels<BR><BR>Don't want to throw a spanner into your plans at this point, but I have assumed you have resarched all the hotels as tourism is way down and good prices are offered. I don't know what you are paying at the Sheraton or if you are using points, etc. I would check the Pennisula, as I have to say it is a nicer hotel. The Sheraton rooms are nice and large, but have not been redone in some time. I had lunch there last January and thought the public spaces were a little run down. As there are so many hotel bargains now, it might be worth checking the Penn, the Oriental and the Shangri La. I would definately stay on the river however, so if the Sheraton offers the better rates, then I would stay there.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Barbara

Hi, Nancy--<BR>What a nice idea to have a massage on New Years day. I usually don't pamper myself, so I don't think of these things on my own although I do enjoy them. I will never forget the foot massage I had in Guilin, however. I don't think that was pampering myself, though. That really, er, hurt. I think though that the whole thing helped my circulation from the knees down, and it was such a special experience. In addition to the physical benefits, it gave me plenty of things to think and talk about when I got home. This trip to Bangkok just ahead of us will be a real quickie. We will have been in Hong Kong for a few days, and then the Bangkok leg of this itinerary will be only four nights--January 1 through January 4, departing for home in Los Angeles on the 5th. We've been in Hong Kong before and have many things in mind to visit or revisit, but Bangkok will be new to us--just a little introduction to a country we plan to do justice to a little later on. <BR>We like to travel on our own sometimes, though, with a little help regarding hotels and airport/hotel transfers. We're with Pleasant Holidays this time. Air/hotels/transfers/half day city tours in both Hong Kong and Bangkok, although I think we'll forego the HK tour since we've done that a couple of times before. As for our hotel preferences, though, we thank you for the input regarding the Peninsula recommendation, but since ours is a mini-package, we are locked into the Royal Orchid. I'm sure, however, that your input to me will be beneficial to others reading the board. We appreciate your input.<BR>