Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Marriott question (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-marriott-question-899504/)

123Go Jul 19th, 2011 07:16 PM

Bangkok Marriott question

Helping a friend make a plan for 2 nts in Bangkok at the end of a trip. I have enjoyed Marriott on the river and know they would too. But have 2 young daughters and looks like Marriott only has rooms with one bed. Don't really want to have to get a 2nd room. Any suggestions?

shanek Jul 19th, 2011 08:10 PM

When we stayed there a few years ago with our 2 kids, we booked a Junior Suite and had an extra roll-out bed put in the room. Our younger child who was 4 at the time, slept in our bed. There was still adequate room.

Another alternative is Centrepoint Silom. A 1 bedroom apartment there has a sofa-bed in the lounge area and they are huge. The also have 2 bedroom apartments. I prefer the location, as it is a very short walk to the sky-train and the upper floors still have a river view even though it is not absolute river frontage.

Cicerone Jul 20th, 2011 02:13 AM

You or your friend should email the hotel to confirm whether they have any rooms with 2 double beds. A junior suite may not work unless, like the above poster, one of the kids is young enough to sleep with the parents. I don’t know their budget, but the other thing that would work is to get one of the suites, the hotel could put 2 rollaways in the living room (or one of the kids could sleep on the sofa). These have great river views and are corner units which front the river.

I assume you know that the hotel will no longer be a Marriott after November but will become an Anantara, the brand owned by Bill Heinecke, who is the owner of the Marriott now. I don’t think your friend will notice any change, as Heinecke’s group has run it for many years under a franchise from Marriott. It just won’t have the Marriot name and your friend can’t earn (or spend) Marriott Reward points.

qwovadis Jul 20th, 2011 03:32 AM

JW is AWESOME there for me join rewards program
for FREE suite upgrades GREAT food(White Elephant)
club floor upgrades as a preferred guest they will trundle for kidsno problem everywhere super nice big rooms twins on theclub level from personal experience.Other good options here.

www.booking.com › Thailand › Bangkok › Khlong Toei -
Rating: 8.5/10 - 34 reviews
Just 1300 ft from Ploenchit and Nana BTS Skytrain stations, Sukhumvit Road's JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok features a pool
with jacuzzi and spa with massage...

For budget for me also nice for price amari.com/watergate

deals from $50/nt on a 5 star Otel.com betterbidding.com

123Go Jul 20th, 2011 04:22 AM

Cicerone, thanks for the reminder about the Marriott ownership change totally forgot this was happening then. Agree should be no noticable difference they just need to realize they're not in the wrong hotel b/c the name is changed. What we really enjoyed is the boat shuttle to the skytrain. My friends LOVE boats and water so I need to reco somthing on the river. Plus pool is a great place to hang out in late afternoon while waiting to leave for night flight home.

shanek & qwovadis
thanks for the heads up on Centrepoint Silom and JW.

simpsonc510 Jul 20th, 2011 05:37 AM

Stick with the Marriott if your friends like boat rides.

123Go Jul 20th, 2011 06:47 AM

:-) I think there's no other choice for them. Good to know I'm correct.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2011 07:35 AM

the marriott/anantara does not have family rooms--i have asked their management..

may i suggest you consider the chatrium, just up the river.. an equally nice pool and apartments have nice flexibility.

marriott mayfair is another option, as is marriott sukhumvit park.... also marriott courtyard--i think they may have double doubles..

bangkok holiday inn too, but their pool is tiny..

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2011 07:35 AM

the marriott/anantara does not have family rooms--i have asked their management..

may i suggest you consider the chatrium, just up the river.. an equally nice pool and apartments have nice flexibility.

marriott mayfair is another option, as is marriott sukhumvit park.... also marriott courtyard--i think they may have double doubles..

bangkok holiday inn too, but their pool is tiny..

123Go Jul 20th, 2011 08:08 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll look into each of your suggestion.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2011 08:48 AM

chatrium has a nice free boat ride to the skytrain as well..

chatrium is the 3 round towers on the right side of the river about 1/2 way to the skytrain from the marriott (opposide riverside from marriott).

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2011 08:49 AM

s/b opposite side of river

123Go Jul 20th, 2011 11:31 AM

I don't remember that one. Now I'll have to look through all my millions of photos to see if I remember the 3 round towers LOL.

Kathie Jul 20th, 2011 11:45 AM

The Chatrium is relatively new. The three towers are one tower of condos, one of long-term serviced apartments (one year lease when I asked) and a hotel tower.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2011 07:24 PM

the tower nearer the river is the short term stay building

123Go Jul 21st, 2011 10:35 AM

It never fails to amaze me how knowledgeable the core Thailand Fodorites are!!

rhkkmk Jul 21st, 2011 12:44 PM

problem is, they never have any useful info

123Go Jul 21st, 2011 02:38 PM

What I find amazing is the last time I spent a LOT of time reading this board was 5 years ago when planning my first trip to Thailand. You all were so helpful. I've unfortunately not had the opportunity to go back YET but have traveled to many other destinations. But have never found such dedicated "helpers" as here. Coming back to this site feels like I never left and enjoy seeing some of the old names I relied on. Pat yourselves on the back for being such great ambassadores!

rhkkmk Jul 22nd, 2011 06:48 AM

we regulars not only share info but we also take and receive tons of info.... the asia group think we are special and indeed we are---the pats feel good...

simpsonc510 Jul 22nd, 2011 07:22 AM

(plus, a number of us also know each other, and have met in various places around the globe, face to face)