Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Layover` (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-layover-938104/)

lgilliland Jun 6th, 2012 04:34 PM

Bangkok Layover`

Hello, We are constrained in our travels back to Canada by a very tight layover in Bangkok. So far we haven't been able to shift it at all. We arrive from Oz at 10:00 pm on a Sunday night and fly out to Vancouver via Hong Kong at 2:00pm the following day.

Is it worth the dash into Bangkok and being at the gates of the Grand Palace at 8:30 am? After reading other posts, I figured that is all we'd have time to see. It looks like we'd have to leave for the airport by 11:00 am to give us an hour of travel time and to get there 2 hours prior to our flight.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions - thanks very much, Liz

yippie65 Jun 6th, 2012 06:32 PM

If you don't think you'll make it to Bangkok again -- or not for a long time -- I'd say go for it.

Book a reasonable hostel or guesthouse to catch a little sleep and store your stuff, ideally not too far from the Grand Palace area, or near the river, where you can easily hop a river taxi up to the Grand Palace, and see Wat Arun, the Temple of the Dawn, on the riverside at the same time.

Even an hour at the Grand Palace would be worth it in my opinion.

I'd plan to be in a taxi getting on the tollway to the airport around 10:30 am, just to be safe.

You should be fine if you're up early in the morning, heading towards the river or the palace. I think you'll be pleased you seized the opportunity.

rhkkmk Jun 6th, 2012 06:50 PM

sure, do it..

i think i'd hire a driver and keep him for the entire time at the palace... taxis are hard to get there who are honest..

book a hotel near to the palace, of which there are not many or one on the river---royal orchid sheraton??

lgilliland Jun 6th, 2012 08:24 PM

Thanks Yippie65 and rhkkmk, good suggestions and intel. I took at look at the water taxis and they seem to run very early. So either that or a driver would work just fine. Liz

Kathie Jun 7th, 2012 06:49 AM

Staying at a hotel on the river allows you to use the very quick and efficient water taxis. Then there is no need for a car and driver, you can take the water taxis both ways. From the ROS, it has never taken us more than 45 minutes to the airport, but do allow an hour just in case. With a car and driver, I'd be concerned about getting stuck in traffic in the Grand Palace area, trying to get back to your hotel.

Cicerone Jun 7th, 2012 09:22 AM

You can't get a flight from Australia to Hong Kong and skip Bangkok entirely? Or a flight from Australia to Canada? Going from Australia all that west to Thailand (or even Hong Kong) seems like a lot of backtracking.

rhkkmk Jun 7th, 2012 09:37 AM

my point about the car is that you could check out of the hotel, take your bags and go to the airport from the palace after your visit.

otherwise i question if the timing would work..

lgilliland Jun 11th, 2012 10:24 AM

I appreciate everyone taking the time to add your suggestions and comments.

Cicerone, We are flying on points and are pretty much locked in to the itinerary. Despite the awkwardness - it is worth it overall.

I supposed the other alternative is to pay for a driver and car (tour) and include the ride out to the airport. 5K Bhat.

Liz