Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok layover (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-layover-711035/)

Talia62 Jun 6th, 2007 08:08 AM

Bangkok layover

Hi,

I'll be traveling through Bangkok this August and will have a layover of about 12 hrs. I'm not too excited about spending that much time just sitting in the airport (flying through BKK rather than the older airport).

It will be my first time there, so I have no idea what I can do in that short time period. Anyone have any suggestions? Layover will be between international arrival at 6:30am and non-international departure at 6:40pm.

Kathie Jun 6th, 2007 09:26 AM

Let me suggest a spa visit, lunch and shopping or sight-seeing, depending on your interests and level of jet-lag.

You really have much of a day, so there are lots of options. Have you been to Bangkok before? will you have some time in Bangkok at the end of your trip?

Talia62 Jun 6th, 2007 09:48 AM

No, I've never been there before. I'll have about the same amount of time on the return portion of my trip.

Budget...on the low side since I want to spend most of my money on the trip in between Bangkok days. Perhaps $50 USD per day in Bangkok, and no hotel stay needed.

Jet lag shouldn't be a problem, I never have trouble with it.

Kathie Jun 6th, 2007 11:39 AM

The one place in Bangkok that is the must-see is the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Aim to get there when it opens at 8:30 am. Decide whether you want to do that on your way in or your way out of Bangkok. It will be VERY hot, and you'll be mostly outisde sight seeing. (Note that when your taxi drops you off, you may be accosted by tuk-tuk drivers saying that it's closed and they want to take you to a jewelry store. refuse... the GP/EB is always open.)

Another option is to visit the Jim Thompson House. There is a nice tour and you can have a good lunch there.

There is lots of shopping in Bangkok, if you tell us what you are looking for we can give you ideas.

There are also lots of spas. I really like Face, and always schedule a massage and body scrub or facial my forst morning in Bangkok. website www.facebars.com Note there is a bar, two restaurants (the Thai is excellent), a spa and a bakery all on the property.

rhkkmk Jun 6th, 2007 05:56 PM

i can suggest that if the stop over is during the day time that you contact one of the guides/drivers who we often talk about here and have them squire you areound for the day....might cost as much as $80-100 but would be well worth it...

cherry/ratt/tong are the three major ones we use...

that will give you an a/c car to relax in....inexpensive eating if you desire and a change from the airport...

JohnH Jun 8th, 2007 02:12 AM

agree with others - have a driver pck you up and take you to the Grand Palace / Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Then you can go to Wat Po next door for a massage - they are excellent (and very affordable), although it's not a spa. Maybe lunch nearby and short ride on the river. I would stay in one general area also.