Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok - Last Minute Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-last-minute-questions-961670/)

wkwb42a Jan 6th, 2013 10:25 AM

Bangkok - Last Minute Questions

We are departing on Thursday, at last, after planning for a long time, (which was a large part of the fun)! Again, thank you all so much for your very valuable input during the lengthy planning stage. We really appreciate your help, which enabled me to do the trip.

Do you have any shopping suggestions, i.e. for crafts? (or other ideas are welcome too).

Where is a recommended place for a massage?

Has anyone eaten at Pen, or Lek Seafood, or Home Kitchen?

Again, many, many thanks to all!

simpsonc510 Jan 6th, 2013 05:14 PM

So happy to read that you will finally be on your way to Bangkok! We're leaving here tonight (sob sob). The weather has been ideal. About 90 and very low humidity (IMO) so not a bother at all. So lovely to dine outside at night!!

I'm not a massage person at all, BUT many here like the massage at FACE, which is also a very reputable and lovely Thai restaurant. It's on the sukhumvit area, but not sure which soi?

For Thai crafts, take a look at Narai Phand, which is located in the back of the Intercontinental Hotel, lobby level, at the Chitlom sky train station. Hyatt Erewan is right across the street. Nice area for shopping. Beautiful stuff at Narai Phand... more costly here than in some other places, but it will give you an idea of what is made here. And you can take in the Erewan Shrine (and Erewan Tea Room) at the same time!

I really hope you enjoy Bangkok and all it has to offer. It really grows on you... give it time.

rhkkmk Jan 6th, 2013 07:31 PM

for crafts we prefer the thai craft org's monthly sale on saturdays... check their website to see if you overlap with their schedule:

www.thaicraft.org

many people have liked the 2nd floor above gallery cafe on capt. bush rd near the royal orchid sheraton for massage

many hotels offer massages as well...

wat pho

crellston Jan 7th, 2013 12:41 AM

Whenever we arrive in Bangkok virtually the first thing we do is to head off Saphin Taskin to get the boat to Wat Pho massage school for a massage. There are a couple of places inside the temple complex but I prefer the school itself which you can easily find by getting off the boat walk up the Soi to th ecorner of the temple complex and the school is at the end of a smal Soi about 5 blocks along on the right.

I have eaten at Lek seafood a couple of times an loved it. Somboon Seafood is also very good.

wkwb42a Jan 7th, 2013 07:34 AM

Thank you, thank you. Massage at Wat Pho massage school and/or Gallery (2nd floor) sound good. We'll probably also eat at Gallery Cafe per your suggestion (previously).

We'll try to check our Narai Phand. It seems that Thai Craft
doesn't have date listed for January.

Will add Lek Seafood to list of possible eateries.

rhkkmk Jan 7th, 2013 08:07 PM

give harmonique a try too

lcuy Jan 8th, 2013 02:21 PM

I like the massages at Wat Po school, but you'll be in a large area surrounded by other people getting massages. They are normally done with your clothes on, though if you are really dressed inappropriately for a massage, I think there are pjs.

The massages at Gallery Cafe are done in private areas and you change out of your clothes into pajama type outfits. They are about the same price as Wat Pho and the food downstairs is good.

My favorite though, is Face. It's more of a Spa experience than just a massage. There are two tiny thai houses on the property. Each one has a shower and two massage pads on the floor.

They offer several types of massage, facials, scrubs, etc. I usually get the coffee scrub with a hot compress massage. I think it's around $60. After you're done they'll serve you tea and let you relax by the little lily pond. It is easy to get there, as it is about 100 meters sown the street from a Skytrain station (Thong Lo? I forget)

wkwb42a Jan 9th, 2013 10:04 AM

Again, thanks very much to all.

Kathie Jan 9th, 2013 10:19 AM

I'm also a fan of the spa at Face. www.facebars.com

wkwb42a Jan 15th, 2013 06:26 PM

We really enjoyed our time in Bangkok so very much! Your advice was excellent. Tour guides were very good, sigtseeing was great! We both loved the fishing village and floating market and train market. Right now we are in Bkk airport waiting for flight to SR! My full TR will follow upon our return to U.S. Thanx again for all your valuable help in my planning this wonderful trip.

kmkrnn Jan 15th, 2013 07:31 PM

Glad it worked out

Bob