Bangkok Itinerary w/Tom (Tong's guide)-please advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 4.5 days in Bangkok (1st time) in early April. Tong is not available, but booked Tom for 2 days. We will be on our own the first 2 days (Friday/Sat.) and with Tom Sunday/Monday. We have another half-day in BKK at the very end of our trip before we fly home.

We realize it will be hot and that we can't expect to see it all. Don't mind long days, but don't want to pack too much in and not enjoy it. We will do a klong tour on our own the first day.

Tong sent me some very basic itinerary ideas: Bangkok, floating market, fishing village,Kanchanaburi
and Ayutthaya.

Since she only lists Bangkok and not specifics, I need your help with ideas.

The only must-do oustide of Bangkok is the fishing village. Want to spend the rest of the time in BKK since there is so much to see/do.

Here is what I have so far:
Day 1 (Chakri Day): Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, Wat Po (with maybe a massage) and possibly Wat Arun (Tong suggests we visit on this holiday since certain rooms at the GP are open only on this day.)

I really like the idea of making merit, but some previously posted Tong itineraries include numerous things throughout the day. Would it be considered rude or disrespectful if we ask to only do a few of these things rather than make a half-day of it?

Is this enough for one day (major wats/make merit)?

For our 2nd day, the fishing village is a definite. What else?
We have decided at this point to pass on the Tiger Temple (too controversial) and floating market (klong tour instead).

What do you think about visiting Chinatown with Tom? It sounds like an interesting area and thought maybe we could taste different foods, etc. Having never been I don't know if this is a quick thing that is easier for us to walk around on our own or would be fun with a guide.

Any other ideas are welcome. It's so overwhelming to plan, but we are very excited!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:09 AM

I think adding Chinatown and maybe the flower market to your major Wat day would be an excellent idea. I would skip the massage while with Tom and either go back or arrange for one at yout hotel while you're at Wat Pho.

I would add the Floating market to your fishing village day. We just went there with Tong and had a great time. the first time we went with another guide, it was a waste, but Tong (and I'm sure Tom, who we met) makes it really nice.

I think you can make merit very close to the GP and it will be a smooth addition.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:17 AM

BTW, I might do Chinatown before the GP.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM

floating market is a good addition to secret place....FM early and then lunch at SP....

jim thompson house in bkk...

do your massages on your own...

the flower market is very interesting and you can do it on your own..
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM

I might skip the floating market and spend more time at the fishing village, out on the water in the stilt house. I found the floating market to be very touristy. In April you might be able to swim at the stilt house. And be sure to visit the temple with the teak carvings that Tong takes you to in the morning..
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Should we still do the FM if we are doing a klong tour (I've heard there is a smaller floating market on the route)?
Based on an earlier post most of you suggested that we skip the FM, so now I am confused.

Is this too much for one day (esp. on Chakri Day holiday): make merit, GP/Emerald Buddha, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Chinatown (maybe flower market) and lunch at some point

Day 2: lunch/fishing village in PM...
Maybe visit other wats with him (Marble Wat, etc.) or is this better on our own? Some of you mentioned the orphanage - is this on the way to the fishing village?
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM

The Klong tour and the Floating market are very different.

Yes, you can do all that in one day. You will make merit early when the monks are out. Then, there will be a time gap before the GP or other Wats open. You could look at the Flower market and perhaps Chinatown during this time period and then go back to the GP and Wat Pho. These things will take about 5-6 hours. I would ask Tom about other activities to fill up the day.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM

swim at the secret place....i don't think so....water is like mud...
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gpanda and rhkkmk. I truly value your feedback. I'm taking your advice and we will visit the FM before the secret place.

I just read Kristina's blog (wired2theworld) and it looks like a fun and unique experience. I guess we will never know if we like it or not if we don't try it. Besides we both enjoy taking pictures.

I just hope that Tom will bring as much fun as Tong since I can see why your guide could have an impact on the overall experience.

I will email Tong and give her the basics discussed here and ask for additional suggestions to fill the day. Thanks again.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Yes Bob !!! My kids swam in the Secret Ocean & loved it. Lots of fresh water in the air conditioned bath room. The clay mud must have been rich in good nutrients.

Kimberlyb, on our 3rd trip with Tong, we will be doing the temples, Chinatown & a Klong Tour. My kids also will drop by to see her hubby for an eye check up.

Floating Market is a winner, I think, as well as the Secret Place.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:55 AM

The water did not look like mud when I was there! Many people apparently swim near the stilt house. I think you could skip the floating market and do the klong tour instead.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM

When going to the FM, do NOT eat anything beforehand. You will be filled to the brim with culinary delights.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM

you could of course swim there if you want to, but....
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Tong mentioned that the fishing village trip is dependent on the sea tides. I am awaiting clarification from her if that means we might NOT be able to go at all or if the time of day we visit may change.

Anyone else experience this before? One of our top must-dos is the fishing village and I am very concerned we may not have the opportunity to go there.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I suspect the tides have to do with the time of day.