Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok - Khao Yai National Park by own rented / hired car??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we want to visit Khao Yai National Park. We are now thinking of hiring, renting a car in Bangkok and drive ourselves to Khao Yai National Park.

But, can anybody tell me, is it difficult or dangerous to find your way from bangkok city center to Khao Yai?? (we do not know yet if we will visit it from the north of better south side). We will not go in the weekend but during the week.

We have been in bangkok and thailand before. We are experienced drivers all over the world, even in Sao Paulo for example.

And how is it entering Khao Yai from the south, I saw Khao Yai Grandview resort, it is only about 1500 bath per room per night and only 300 meter from the south entrance of Khao Yai, sounds good or??????????????????????????????

Thanks all, ALbert
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM

We have driven all over Thailand without incident and with few problems. On one of our trips we drove from north from Bangkok around central Thailand and then spent a few nights in Khao Yai (a car is very necessary in the NP to see the sights). We then drove on down to Koh Chang.

If driving out of BKK I would suggest stying somewhere close to the expressway to make life a bit easier driving out of town we stayed at the Conrad which has a car rental place (Avis I think) close by and it is just a short hop on to the expressway and out of town. Alternatively you could pick up a car at the airport.

I would certainly not describe the driving as dangerous. The driving is ok but you do need a good map and, even more important, a good navigator! Road signs are generally clear although they are sometimes placed a bit too close to the junctions so you do need to keep a constant eye out for your next turning.

I can't remember the name of the place we stayed at but there are loads of hotels all along the main road from the town to the park entrance. Sensible decision to go during teh week as it does get booked out at weekends with people escaping BKK.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks, can you tell me:

1. we stay in a hotel in Grand Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok in the area with the same name, sukhumvit. Is it difficult from there or dangerous or complicated to find the way to the express or high way??

2. On the way back from Khao yai we have to go to the airport (national), is that easy to find or???

3. Which entrance do you advise us of Khao Yai, north or south??? we are nature people, we like beacutiful nature.

Thanks again, Albert
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM

personally i would not even consider driving anywhere around bkk....the signage is poor unless you read thai and the drivers are erratic...

if you hired a car at the airport you are far enough outside town that it might not be bad, even the old airport, but i think you will find a car and driver almost as cheap as a car rental....i would go with car and driver personally
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM

I would thoroughly recommend driving...so long as, and this seems to be the case - you are experienced and competent drivers.
there is a great drive over Kao Yai - the road is closed at night - i believe - but you'll be so glad you have a car to enjoy this park.
Might i suggest you get a 4 wheel drive pick-up? this will give you the extra ground clearance and traction options that can occasionally come in handy out on the "wilds".

Getting out of Bkk can be Confusing so plan your route well...or as suggested get the car from the airport or somewhere out side Bkk - Pattaya? -
You will need to bring an International Drivers permit as well as your licence and make sure you hire from a reputable (preferably international) company. insurance is a real headache in Thailand.