Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Inside Out (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-inside-out-545566/)

glorialf Jul 20th, 2005 08:58 AM

Bangkok Inside Out

Does anyone know this book by Daniel Ziv? I just read a description on Amazon and it sounds like it might be good for people who have done all the must sees.

What do you think?

glorialf Jul 20th, 2005 05:22 PM

ttt

bkkmei Jul 20th, 2005 07:08 PM

Hi
I've read this book - it is a great book, but it's NOT a guide book. It's for those people who've been to Thailand a few times and have always wondered about... things like lottery tickets, red bull, kathoeys, motorbike taxis, hi-so/lo-so etc. The pictures are great. The descriptions are humourous but informative. I thought it was extremely interesting because unless you know lots of Thai people, you're not going to find out about these aspects of life of Bangkok in the 'noughties!

There's one for Jakarta too which really made the city much more interesting for me when I visited.

Guenmai Jul 26th, 2005 07:36 AM

I'm picking up my copy today. I have a friend who owns a big travel store and she called yesterday and said that it's out of print. The new edition will be coming out in October. I can't wait that long since I'm leaving for BK next month. My friend had to go to another bookstore and buy one off of its shelf and bring it over to her store so that I'd have a copy of it. I saw it months ago and should have bought it then. Her store sold out all of its copies. Happy Travels!

glorialf Jul 26th, 2005 08:04 AM

You can also order it on amazon. I did last week -- should be coming in a few days. If I had known a new one was coming out in October I would have waited, but I figure you can never have too many books on thailand. :-)

Guen-- let us know how it is when you get it.

Guenmai Jul 26th, 2005 08:23 AM

I flicked through it months ago when I saw it on the bookshelf and it looked very interesting. I just forgot to go back and buy it. But, I'll let you know. I'll drive to my friend's store today and pick up my copy. Happy Travels!

laurie_ann Jul 26th, 2005 10:06 AM

It is a fun book, with great photos and insight into many details of Thai life, from A for "amulets", B for "beauty contests" to Z for I forgot what and every letter of the alphabet in between. I loved the "soi dogs" page and the "traffic radio" page. These days with the logistical information that you find in traditional guide books usually available free on the internet, a unique book with more perspective into what you will really see and experience is a great find! I have not yet been to Bangkok (but will go next month). I don't think you have to have already been to Bangkok to get a lot out of this book.

orgy7 Jul 27th, 2005 01:49 AM

I looked threw the book yesterday .
there are some good pics especially of a a guy feeling up a prostiute at a go go bar or someplace like that.. I'm a guy what do you expect from me.

simpsonc510 Jul 27th, 2005 05:30 AM

Thanks orgy7
I was all set to use a gift certif to Barnes and Noble on this book. But now.... maybe not???
Carol

bkkmei Jul 27th, 2005 06:22 AM

Oh don't listen to him!

There is ONE picture like that and it's a fun pic.
The rest are great & original pics of life in Bangkok.

Guenmai Jul 27th, 2005 06:44 AM

I just picked up my copy yesterday. A friend who owns a huge travel store/travel bookstore where I live drove to another bookstore to find it since she'd sold out of it at her store. She bought it out of her own money and then brought it over to her store for me.I've really enjoyed it so far.It's a book for folks who really want to get into Bangkok and not just the regular...few days in Bangkok...tourist stuff. The new edition is coming out in Novemeber(not October as I had previously stated) I thought my friend had said October on my answering machine. The one I have was just written in 2003 so I can't imagine that THAT much will have changed in such a short time. Happy Travels!

orgy7 Jul 27th, 2005 08:01 AM

there is another book like inside out. The face of the book looks just like the packaging for the SIMS vidio game , it also has a bunch of nice pics.. but as usual I cant remember the name of anything.

--------
bkkmai, you cant say that they guy did not get a good handfull..

simpsonc510 Jul 27th, 2005 08:33 AM

I just ordered my B&N copy. The info says 2005 publication??? But it sure sounds like the right book. And it's available NOW.
Carol

Guenmai Jul 30th, 2005 04:01 PM

Interesting, Simpson...I was told that it was not available and my friend not only called around town, but called the publishers,too. Like I said, the copy I got is 2003. There was nothing else available. Oh, well. Happy Travels!