Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok in Hemispheres (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-in-hemispheres-755512/)

BradinBangkok Dec 29th, 2007 09:36 PM

Bangkok in Hemispheres

I just read the January 2008 Hemispheres magazine on my flight back from Maine tonight. The "Three Perfect Days" story is about Bangkok. It is much better than the one they did several years ago.

The author stays at The Four Seasons, and uses the skytrain and water taxis to get around. He goes to Sky Bar, the Bed, The Grand Palace and other good locations. I didn't like a few of his recommendations, but thats to be expected.

I would recommend the story to any BKK first timers. I think it is on-line, if you're not flying United in the next month.

simpsonc510 Dec 30th, 2007 04:42 AM

So did you grab the magazine and bring it home? Sounds like a good read. Glad you made it home OK.

BradinBangkok Dec 30th, 2007 05:48 AM

Yes, I have it. I'll bring it today. I'm sure you'll have more comments, and you type faster.

simpsonc510 Dec 30th, 2007 02:13 PM

OK, I've had a chance to peruse the Three Perfect Days: Bangkok article in Hemispheres. It is very well written, and includes many of the favorites that are discussed here. I agree it is a very nice article for a first-timer, but also for the veteran BKK traveler. It brings back so many fond memories!

The suggested mode of transportation, a lot of the time, is the skytrain. I agree! The hotel in the article is the Four Seasons. (selected for its great location.. I agree again) There are a couple of meals at FS, but not Biscotti (which I know is a favorite of Bob and Karen).

Sky Bar, Suanlum Night Bazaar, the Joe Louis Puppet Theater, The Bed Supperclub, Paragon Food Hall, Mahanaga, the Bamboo Bar at the Oriental, all of these are mentioned, plus other places; and of course, the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, J T House, Vimanmek Palace, and etc. for sight seeing.

The article isn't on line yet, but probably will be on the 1st of Jan. at hemispheresmagazine dot com. Do take a look. Nice photography also!

My favorite comment is the one at the end of the first paragraph. It talks about the things one remembers most, after returning home, and refers to the encounters one has with the ordinary people, the times when that Thai smile crosses cultural boundaries.

No mention of the weekend market or MBK... I was a little bit surprised, as these are real Thai places for shopping. But then again, it was only "3" days... not nearly enough time in BKK!!!

Carol

jcasale Dec 30th, 2007 08:06 PM

We'll be flying United back from Maine (actually Manchester, since United pulled out of Bangor MANY years ago) at the end of the week so I will be sure to check out the article. I'm sure it will at least confirm all of the wonderful advice here for our June trip to Bangkok and beyond. Thanks for the heads up.

simpsonc510 Dec 31st, 2007 04:31 AM

Manchester is a very nice airport. I've flown in and out of there several times. I prefer it over BOS when I go to New England.

You can take the Hemispheres mag with you...! This one might be a keeper.

Have fun on your trip.

Carol

ms_go Dec 31st, 2007 04:53 AM

Great, thanks for the heads up. Mr_go is flying tomorrow and I'm flying on Wednesday, and we're currently planning our first visit to Bangkok for November. Looking forward to having something to do on the plane for a change!