Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   bangkok hotels near skytrains? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-hotels-near-skytrains-695666/)

zinders Apr 10th, 2007 01:30 PM

bangkok hotels near skytrains?

Can anyone tell me which Bangkok hotels are the most convenient to the Skytrain? We're looking for something with a pool, that is around $150...we will be there in late October. Thanks!

KMLoke Apr 10th, 2007 02:11 PM

Off hand.

Emporium Suites (service apartment) at Sukhumvit forgot the name of the station.
Novotel Siam Square near Siam Station,
Asia Hotel (budget) forgot name of station - one stop down from Siam Station.

Kathie Apr 10th, 2007 02:49 PM

Many, many hotels are close to Skytrain stations. I don't know whether you could get the Four Seasons for that price in October, but it's a lovely hotel. The Shangri-La would give you teh best of both worlds, by the Skytrain and on the river.

Scotters Apr 10th, 2007 03:49 PM

Also take a look at the Centre Point Apartments (1 bedroom riverview) which are opposite the Shangri-La hotel or the Holiday Inn (Ploenchit). Both have great locations with easy walk to the skytrain.

eurotraveller Apr 10th, 2007 03:56 PM

I secnond the recommendation for the Centre Point Silom. Google it and you will find a virtual tour of the great apartment.

Not only is it near the sky train but it is also near the river taxi, there are restaurants,a grocery store and a department store on the bottom floors and they have washer/dryer units in them along with a full kitchen.

They are about 1000 or so sq ft and very nice!

simpsonc510 Apr 10th, 2007 04:15 PM

I just stayed (in February) at the newly refurbished Bangkok Holiday Inn. Its location is right at the ChitLom skytrain station and is also walking distance to Central World Plaza shopping mall, Gaysorn Plaza shopping mall, NariPhand Thai Crafts center, as well as the Central Chitlom department store. It's a great location!!

I paid just over $100 plus taxes per night in February. That didn't happen to include daily breakfast buffet, I know some places do include b'fast. I'm sure you could get this HI for a good price. Rooms are very nice in size. The pool is nothing special, but nice enough that you'll enjoy it, I'm sure. It was busy when I was in BKK in Feb.

I'm probably heading back to BKK in June for about 12 days and will certainly consider the Holiday Inn again.

This HI is located next to a very nice Intercontinental, but the Intercon is priced quite a bit higher.

Carol

rhkkmk Apr 10th, 2007 05:34 PM

here are some:jw marriott, nana, westin grande, sheraton grande, bangkok holiday inn (new and nice), intercontinental, hyatt, 4 seasons, landmark, emporium suites, ambassador, shangri-la, conrad, majestic grande...
and many many more places are just a bit aways

lots of hotels on the sois off of sukhumvit in both directions....some even have tuk tuks that will take you to sukhumvit free (rembrandt and davis for two)....

rhkkmk Apr 10th, 2007 05:35 PM

i ahould have added that the sheraton orchid, peninsula and marriott resort all have boats that take you to taskim pier and taskim skytrain station for free frequently...

Bisbee Apr 10th, 2007 05:35 PM

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit had a skybridge connection directly to the Asoke Station. They also have a great pool. Unfortunately though, doubtful you could get a room there for $150.

MichaelBKK Apr 10th, 2007 05:39 PM

I'll add the Patumwan Princess (on top of MBK Center) - the pool is salt water, Arnoma (really cheap).

I don't think the new Central (at Central World) opens by October, but the new Millenium looks like it will be ready by then.

rhkkmk Apr 10th, 2007 05:47 PM

michael, what is the Millenium? where is it?? thanks
bob

Scotters Apr 11th, 2007 05:45 AM

Millennium is a chain of luxury hotels including the Bangkok Hilton Riverside. They are building a new one around the Sukhumvit/Asoke intersection which will be called the Millennium Sukhumvit Bangkok. Opening late 2007.

gard Apr 11th, 2007 06:27 AM

Hi

We are planning to stay at Lebua (see http://www.lebua.com/) in May and it looks nice. We are paying about 115$ per night if I'm not mistaken and it includes breakfast and wireless internet. It is located near the river and the skytrain station seems to be about 300 meters away from the hotel. I will post a review of the hotel on my homepage when I get back :d

regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

zinders Apr 11th, 2007 06:36 AM

I'm intrigued by the Centre Point Silom, as it seems to have everything we are looking for, but I've never stayed at a serviced apartment. Can someone explain the difference between the apts and a hotel?

Guenmai Apr 11th, 2007 06:59 AM

KM Loke-Emporium Suites is at the Prom Phong skytrain station. I live in that building when in Bangkok. Zinders, the whole Emporium building complex is connected to the skytrain station and the Emporium Mall which has a full-sized grocery store on the top level. Check it out. emporiumsuites.com It's a 5-star building and you should be able to easily get either a 60 square-meter studio or possibly 80 square-meter studio apartment, in October, for what you want to pay. Buffet breakfast will be included in that price and there's maid service everyday.
Also, the Four Seasons is right across the street from the Rajadamri skytrain station. Since you're going in October, maybe you can get a lower than usual rate. It's a great hotel. I stayed there for years until I moved to Emporium Suites. Also the Sheraton Sukumvit Grand Hotel is right at the skytrain station on the Sukumvit Line. The skytrain station is right after you walk out of the door of the hotel. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Apr 11th, 2007 09:53 AM

Zinders...A serviced apartment gives you more space. It has a lot of the same services of a hotel. There are those who live there long term usually due to working in Bangkok and then there are those who stay there long and short term for vacation reasons. I stay in a serviced apartment twice a year for both short and long vacations. Some people rent them for only a night if the building permits it. There are different rules for different buildings.
The serviced apartment buildings include a buffet breakfast in the price or you can make meals in your apartment since you have a kitchen.They also have room service like a hotel. I love having a kitchen. In three weeks in Dec/Jan, I only ate out a few times which saved me a bundle in food costs. I cooked a lot of meals at the apartment. My kitchen is large and fully stocked. But, for those who don't want to cook, they don't have to. The buildings usually have a restaurant on the premises,too and some very good restaurants. Or of course you can go out and eat like you would do if staying in a hotel.
A serviced apartment gives you more choice and a lot more space than a hotel room. When I was staying at the Four Seasons,for years, I had a 40 square meter room for about from $145-$175 a night. At Emporium Suites I have a an 80 square-meter studio for about $150. with an incredible view. Plus, it's nice to have neighbors who mingle and talk to each other. On New Year's Eve, neighbors slipped Happy New Year cards under the door with their apartment number on them. It's just a different vibe than a hotel. I'm a convert. Happy Travels!

Bisbee Apr 11th, 2007 07:02 PM

Serviced apartment might be bigger, but you can't compare the service at Emporium Suites with that of the Four Seasons.

Kathie Apr 11th, 2007 07:11 PM

For a honeymoon, I'd opt for a hotel like the Four Seasons or one of the river hotels. For a long stay, teh serviced apartment are the way to go.

rhkkmk Apr 11th, 2007 07:13 PM

guen has described it quite well...more space, but less service...usually a pool, massage area, small restaurant, gym, guest services...

the apartments are nicely appointed...costs are usually proportionate to what you receive...thus a $50/nite apt. is not nearly as nice as a $100/nite apt...location does affect it a bit but not too much...

cneter point silom is quite nice...i have seen 3 apartments and i do not think any fodorite has been unhappy with their stay there...great location --directly next to the taskim skytrain staion, mcdonalds, reobinsons dept store, shangri-la hotel and the river is not far....some rooms have a good view of the river but you pay for it...price about $85...

you can have one, two or 3 bedrooms as well...multiple baths as well in some...

CP has several locations in bkk....emporium is adding a new location on the river....ascott has several locations...

Eekthecat Apr 11th, 2007 09:19 PM

We stayed at the Patumwan Princess (on top of MBK Center! Strongly recommend.

On top of a shopping center.
Connected to a sky train.
BIG swimming pool.
Fab Breaky!

Will be going back!

Eek =)