Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   bangkok hotel reservation site (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-hotel-reservation-site-646207/)

sssteve Sep 13th, 2006 12:21 AM

bangkok hotel reservation site

Has anyone used a hotel reservation site called bangkokhoteltravel ?? If so, any feedback?

URL: http://www.bangkokhoteltravel.com/index.htm

KimJapan Sep 13th, 2006 12:43 AM

Although I haven't used them, I have been browsing various sites, this one included, for pricing information for the Peninsula, Oriental, Marriott Resort and Spa, Four Seasons and Sheraton Sukhumvit.

For all of the hotels I have listed, for my time of stay (next summer), so far, the booking sites that I have checked have prices that exceed the hotels' own special offers even when taking into account tax/service inclusions. The bottom line consistently comes out cheaper by direct booking.

This may or may not be true for you...but it is worth checking into. Also, have you checked sawadee.com? They are reliable for sure.

MichaelBKK Sep 13th, 2006 12:45 AM

Doesn't ring any bells. You'll find sawasdee.com mentioned most frequently on this board. I personally use PrecisionReservations.com because they cover many countries, I've never had a problem with them, and I'm accumulating points towards a free stay. ;-)

MichaelBKK Sep 13th, 2006 01:02 AM

Good point. Always check the hotel's own web site. The big chains especially have prices similar to if not lower than the discount sites, at least some times. This seems to be more true in the low season than the high. But always check if you're staying in a major chain.

StanKase Sep 13th, 2006 02:37 AM

It seems thar Sawadee.com is feed by precision so rates are very close or the same. We had excellent service and accommodation of "special requests" with sawadee. When you are spendingthousands for the trip an extra $20+/-/night should not matter much if you get a reliable booking service. Also, sawadee only asks for 1 nights deposit until 2 weeks prior to arrival when full balance is due. Many require full payment up-front and I read that getting changes or refunds can be a big problem with some .e. asiarooms.com. We make plans months in advance so having to advance only 1 night is attractive to us even though we usually get trip insurance from TravelGuard. One hint on trip insurance; the better ones will cover "pre-existing conditions", if you take out the insurance within 2 weeks of making the first deposit on a trip (hotel or Air). Hope this helps.

rhkkmk Sep 13th, 2006 06:22 AM

sawadee, aka hh.20m.com will have winter rates up in the next couple of weeks they tell me...i find them the best overall

www.huahin.20m.com

sssteve Sep 13th, 2006 07:37 AM

I have applied to Sawadee and awaiting their reply. All the other sites that I have checked require credit card details BEFORE confirmation. That annoys me...

I'm also waiting for a reply from the hotel site.

sssteve Sep 13th, 2006 07:38 AM

Bob:

does huahin require payment in advance, or the cc details beofre confirmation??

sssteve Sep 13th, 2006 07:46 AM

Bob: Sawadee and Huahin

I just checked both side by side. It looks like they use exactly the same interface and screens after the home page. It looks to me like they are the same outfit.

Kathie Sep 13th, 2006 07:53 AM

sssteve, yes, huahin and sawasdee are the same company.

KimJapan Sep 13th, 2006 02:44 PM

Sawadee/huahin does not require a credit card before confirmation. They then take a one night room rate deposit, and a couple of weeks before your stay they take the rest. You can buy cancellation insurance through the website when you pay your deposit, which I would recommend...otherwise, should you cancel for any reason, you lose all that you have paid as it is normally completely non-refundable.

JamesA Sep 13th, 2006 03:45 PM

Yes they go into R24 which is Sawadee for Thailand and Malaysia, and offer some others for elsewhere in Asia, like Ratestogo for last minute , a Travelocity or Hotelcub for HK etc, they are an 'information' site and like any in that system ( hate the pop - ups though ):
There are quite a lot of sites that go into sawadee but many aalos have local content so you don't just get a list,
First of all you do 'not need to give any credit card details' to make a booking request, and you can request 'as many' as you like, this is also great if you are 'planning' and also want to try for different dates(!), so you can mix dates and locations.
Your booking goes also straight to the hotel, I found that out, who respond through the system.

You then have a few days to decide 'before' having to give any credit card details, you then pay 1 night deposit and they charge the balance a few weeks ahead of arrival,
years and years never a problem.
Also like to search on www.asiaoz.com for general Asia and ANZ as offer a selection, Sawadee for Thailand, their own and Hotelcub fo ANZ, you can search and you get various sites or the hotels or accommodation itself, they also gladly will 'add' any little gems you tell them about, like they have Baan Orapin, lots of Chiang Mai guest house with the owners 'own' websites.

rhkkmk Sep 13th, 2006 06:50 PM

upon confirmation, as james says, they will request a credit card for a deposit of one nite...the rest is payable about two weeks prior to arrival also via e mail on a secure site...

they are the same company as explained...

they have told me rates for late 2006 and 2007 will be available this month...some are up but some not..

that is why i said aka..."also know as"